Click to Print

Bedding Glossary

Use this handy reference guide to help choose the right bedding for you.

Baffle box (or box construction)-A type of construction for a down comforter that places walls of fabric perpendicular to the top and bottom panel of the comforter, creating a series of boxes that enclose the down; considered superior to "sewn-through" stitching, in which stitches go through the down and connect the top and bottom panels directly

Bedskirt (or dust ruffle)-This decorative fabric piece skirts the bed on three sides and can be used functionally to hide stored items underneath

Bolster-A cylindrical throw pillow so named because it can be used to support the neck

Boudoir pillow-A small rectangular throw pillow

Combed cotton-Cotton that has been combed to remove short fibers so that only long fibers remain, making a strong, soft yarn

Comforter-A thick bed covering packed with down or synthetic fill and usually quilted; does not require a fabric cover

A bed covering that is generally thinner and lighter than a comforter

Duvet-Term used alternately to refer to a thick comforter filled with down, one that requires a fabric covering, or the fabric covering itself, so check packaging carefully to be sure what you're getting

To see what types of bedding are best for you, check out our Guide to Buying Sheets.

Advertisement will not be printed