Step-by-step instructions for a couch/bed that will come in handy when guests are in town
If you don’t have the space for another guest bed, add a day bed. Here’s how to make one:
Materials and Tools:
MDF (medium-density fiberboard)
4 bun feet
4 metal brackets
paint or batting and fabric
1. To build the outer frame, cut two side rails (10 by 76 inches) and two end rails (10 by 37 inches). Cut two larger pieces of MDF to fit inside the frame to create the platform that the mattress will rest on.
2. Cut 1-by-1-inch cleats to support the platform and install them 1½ inches down from the top along the side and end rails. Leave a gap along the side rails that’s about 24 inches from each end to allow two cross pieces to be installed to support the center of the platform boards.
3. To hold the cross supports, attach more 1-by-1 cleats 1½ inches up from the bottom around the perimeter. Cut the two cross supports.
4. Flip the day bed over and attach a metal bracket to each corner on the outer edge of the frame. Screw the feet into position. Turn the day bed back over. Slide the cross supports into position and slide the platform pieces into position to check the fit.
5. Paint or upholster the day-bed frame (staple batting over the frame, and then cover it with fabric) as desired.