Add an instant update to a room with these step-by-step instructions.
To give a room a modern touch that will fit in flawlessly with the rest of the decor, follow these instructions for making a self-standing contemporary bookshelf.
Materials and Tools:
two 1-by-4-inch boards
one 1-by-6-inch board
1. Glue the two pieces of 1-by-4 together stacked, making certain that all edges align. This will serve as vertical support for the bookshelf.
2. Once the glue is dry, cut the double-thick boards to 64 inches.
3. Make a template that allows the plunge router to fit through but easily glide. Clamp the template to the 64-inch vertical support at desired distances of at least 10 inches.
4. Mark the edge of the 1-by-6 for the correct groove width, and then cut a 1-inch groove into the 64-inch spine. These are your shelf placements, so make certain of your measurements.
5. Cut the 1-by-6 into nine ½-inch widths. Apply wood glue and tap into the cut groove, centered. Secure in the back with one or two small nails.
6. Stain or paint to complement the room scheme.