Before: Bare ApartmentThe apartment is a little on the bare side. The only substantial color in the room is the couch. The long room has a bigger problem, though. The front door breaks up the space and the far wall also has a closet door. That makes for tricky furniture arranging; everything kind of clumps up on one side of the front door or the other.
For all available product information, click on the first After photo of the room.
After: Going For GlamBold colors give a sharp separation of space between the living room and dining room. The adjacent rooms of chocolate brown and chartreuse make an instant contrasting color combo for accessories. Cunningham punches up the design with black and white elements.
Paint – $120
- paint (OC-10 off white, HC-142 Stratten Blue, HC-67 Clinton Brown, 2146-20 Forest Moss, 2147-40 Dill Pickle) – Scenic Industrial
Screen – $75
- plaques (8575300300, 5x7) – Michaels
TV console – $75
- TV console (Borghamn TV Unit 90069542) – Ikea
Ottomans – $59
Lamps – $20
- lamp shades (95376 16" Shade) – The Great Indoors
Frames and accessories – $145
- matte board (quick framing board) – Aaron Brothers
- vases and candles – Marshall's
- blinds (Setaria Roman blind 60093987), index curtain hardware, fabric (Ditte 33080380) – Ikea
Coffee table – $40
Chair re-do – $18
Floor lamp – $20
- floor lamp – Best of Times
Faux cow rug – $195
- rug (Brattby Cowhide 10103601) – Ikea
All fabric – $29
- fabric (damask and velvet) – Diamond Foam and Fabric
Hardware – $149
- hinges and moulding – The Home Depot
Chandelier – $50
- chandelier and shades – EOS Outlet
Total – $995
Accent FramesWithers has an album of black and white photos that she took on her trip to Italy. Cunningham decides to use several in the design of the new space. Design coordinator Spencer Anderson finds several frames at a thrift shop and paints them white to pop against the chartreuse wall in the dining room. The black and white photos are great accents as well as interesting personal pieces of art.
Creating a Usable WallTo make the far wall useable and make the whole room feel like one space, Cunningham incorporates a console table and screen. They are situated to leave enough room for access to the closet behind the screen. Although this takes up space in the room, the other half of the room wasn't really being used. Now the room feels more connected and intimate.
Black and White AccentsWith all the strong colors in the room, Cunningham adds contrast with a few black and white accents. It's graphic and glammy with a traditional quality in the houndstooth upholstery and faux cowhide rug.
Trim FramesOn large walls, wood trim can be used to make a feature. Here it becomes a large-scale frame that directs attention to several smaller pieces that are grouped to make an impact.