Offbeat SpaceRavi and Jerusha Belles have an elegant Beverly Hills apartment that fits their chic style, if you don't count their dining room. They want to bring in a bold new style that reflects Ravi's Indian heritage. The Design on a Dime team turns this empty room into an exotic dining room where the family can share meals together.
Although this room is the dining room, the homeowners use it mostly as a play area. Drums, toys and a lack of a dining table define this space. The room has good bones and architectural details. Design coordinator Kahi Lee is happy to see the homeowners are not afraid of bold colors; they do like jewel tones and shiny things that reflect light. What they would like is to have a proper dining room where they can eat together as a family and entertain guests.
For all available product information, click on the After photo of the room.
Table – $240
- plywood (4812BI, 1/2-inch Birch plywood) – Anawalt Lumber
- MDF (#: MDFLW1, 1-inch Ultra light MDF) – Studio Supply & Recycling
- reclaimed wood (3x5-inch planks) – B&B Lumber
- stain (631457, Minwax water-based stain, American Walnut finish) – Anawalt Lumber
- clear resin (014804782000, 2-part epoxy glaze, sometimes called bar top resin or bar coat) – The Home Depot
- embossed tin (309, Design 309 in a tin finish) – Classic Ceilings
Chandelier – $100
- chandeliers (30103266, 12-inch diameter Rimfrost style pendant lamp chandeliers with beads) – Ikea
- beads (400020866592, beaded tie-back tassels) – Ross
- beads – The Bead Factory
- light kits (10175810, Hemma style cord sets) – Ikea
Paint and stenciling – $149
- paint, Behr, upper walls (740C-2, Cozy Cottage), lower walls (750B-6, Tree Bark) – The Home Depot
- paint, for the ceiling and stenciling (ME200, Modern Masters metallic paint, Pale Gold) – Mark?s Paint Store, Inc.
- stencils above the chair rail (SEC0003, Victorian Valance stencil) – Stencil Ease
- stencils, Stencil Decor, on corbels (28995277467, Classic Scroll), top of the wall (28995268267, Alhambra Tapestry) – Michaels
Chair rail – $30
- MDF (4834MDFL, 3/4-inch MDF board ultra light) – Anawalt Lumber
Drapes and canopy – $164
- fabric for drapes (iridescent purple and gold raw silk), (solid eggplant colored cotton); canopy (sheer iridescent coppery gold), (sheer pale gold fabric with sequins)
– Michael Levine, Inc.
- rods to hang canopy (19383, 5/8x48-inch wooden dowel rods) – Lowe?s
Cushion reupholster – $16
- fabric (wine colored velvet with floral pattern) – Michael Levine, Inc.
Accessories – $301
- accessories (1272100165285, off-white ceramic elephant), (1433200166645, tall pewter toned candlesticks), wall sconces (2133450133118, gold tone) – Big Lots
- candles (085209, 3 x 6-inch off-white Aspen Flower scented pillars), (085187, 3x4-inch off-white Aspen Flower scented pillars) – Pier 1 Imports
- mirrors (005992715, Baxter style rectangular gold-framed accent mirrors) – Bombay Company
Total – $1,000
Palatable PalaceThe Solution
Lee brightens the space with a light cream on the upper portion of the walls. An eggplant color below the chair rail grounds the room. Gold paint on the ceiling and as stenciled accents highlights the architectural details. Finally, a dining room table promises to gather the family around for meals. The chairs were the inspiration for the stamped tin that graces the center of the table. New fabric on the seat cushions pull the chairs fully into the design. What's more, the dining room can still function as a playroom or an open room for entertaining.
Learn how to add a chair rail to your space for a more sophisticated look.
Dual DiningThe homeowners wanted to maintain a play space in addition to having a formal dining room, so design coordinator Spencer Anderson devised a table that can do double duty. This table is made of two pieces that can be pulled apart into stand-alone tables. Placing the sections against opposite walls as consoles opens up the space and changes its character entirely.
3-Tier ChandelierUsing rather inexpensive light fixtures and adding extra beads, Lee fashions a bedazzling overhead light. Design coordinator Abraham Hopkins builds the medallion to affix the chandelier to the ceiling. He uses leftover tin from the dining table to face the medallion. It adds a reflective quality as well as subtly repeats a prominent design element.
Want to enhance your chandelier? See how with these step-by-step instructions.
Stylish StencilsThe look of intricate woodcarvings and ornate patterns is recreated using stencils throughout the room. The gold ceiling paint is perfect for the job because it has a lush and reflective quality; she adds patterns along the chair rail, on the corbles, along the top of the walls and even on the curtain and canopy fabrics.
Silky CanopySilky fabrics with beaded ornamentation are another facet of Eastern Indian design that Lee brings into the dining room. For the canopy she chooses iridescent fabrics and sheer silks. To economize, she sews pieces of material together using the more expensive fabrics as accents throughout the swag.