Before: Bland Bonus RoomThe Design on a Dime team is ready to transform Bethany Roger's bonus room. Now that she no longer works from her Chicago condo, Roger wants to use the space for entertaining. With a design inspired by graphic prints and cool blue tones, the design team devises money-saving ideas to redo this room from boring to brilliant.
The walls are still builder's paint white, and the space just doesn't seem put together yet. She also has a really great patio space that is unused. Even though Roger no longer works from home, her home office is still the focal point of the room. She's ready to redefine this space as a place to entertain friends.
After: Room to TalkThe Solution
Two tones of the same blue paint on the walls brighten the space. Black and white accent colors give the room a sleek, polished look. Bold geometric designs are featured throughout the room on accent pillows, curtains and wall art. There is a bit of playfulness here, too; whimsical details are splashed throughout the space.
Room divider — $20
- hangers used for room divider (030699142217), $0.98 — The Home Depot
- posterboard used for wall treatment, 07978454500 Posterbd, $0.97 – KMart
- room divider, 07908538544 Nylon twine, $2.49 – KMart
Paint and supplies — $251
- wall paint, Benjamin Moore 2049-60 Forget Me Not, $16.49/gallon – JC Licht
- wall paint, Benjamin Moore 2049-70 Icing on the Cake, $24.59/gallon – JC Licht
- mini-rollers, 042224000657, 4", MNITRMRRFL, $2.94 — The Home Depot
- black spray paint, 020066197483, $3.12 — The Home Depot
Pillows and window treatments — $193
- pillow forms, $4.99 — Jo Ann Stores
- black ribbon on window panels, 7576028 5/8" Craft Rbn Exp-B, $3.29 — Jo Ann Stores
- curtain rod, 7892596 18-28 Sgl Hd Curtain, $1.86
- black and white pillow, Waverly, 060040249 DEC PILLOW WVRLY RECTGL W/ATT YAR, $19.99 – Target
- curtain rods, $15.99 – Target
- blue curtain panels, $19.99 – Target
- sheer curtain panels, $19.99 – Target
Custom tables — $95
- mirror spray paint, Krylon, 724504090335 KRLN SPRY 6OZ LO, $8.99 – Michaels
Chairs — $58
- white fabric on two chairs, 2136323 Wh Duck Cloth, $6.99/yard — Jo Ann Stores
- side chairs, 22-49542, $24.96 each – Wickes Furniture
Silver vases — $11
- silver vases, 375919 84 Dec Access, $9.99 — TJ Maxx
Wall art/sconces — $104
- wall sconce project, 074507993226, 18x24, Lexan, $13.95 — The Home Depot
- wall sconce, 0072058/17954 Tyft Wall Lamp, $9.99 – Ikea
- paper used for wall sconces, 21251002 GIFT WRAP LA FONDA/121251004 GIFT WRAP FLEX ZEN, $2.69 each – The Art Store/A Blick Company
Patio chairs — $94
- clear folding chairs, 249110050 Folding Chairs Acrylic Clear, $39.99 – Target
Tables and accessories — $172
- accent table on patio, 50000088 As Is Depart, $8 – Ikea
- pale blue vase, 286756 Small Midge vase, $9.95 — Crate & Barrel
- clear vase, 630322 Celia Clear Vase, $14.95 — CB2
- hanging vases, 307092 Tear Drop Hanging Vase, $3.95 — CB2
- magnet, 5641674 Hvy duty attach Adh, $2.98 – Menards
- white oval dish, 018249503, $5.99 – Marshalls
- line and dot glasses, Thomas O’Brien, 200012191 GOBLET GLASS, $3.99 – Target
Total — $998
Luminous ArtOriginally, design coordinator Ali Azhar intended to make wall art out of decorative paper and sheets of acrylic. Once he realized that the area where he was putting the art was lacking in light, he changed his plans to make a wall art/sconce hybrid.
Floating WallMasonite is a great material for this project; it is lightweight, sturdy and easy to cut. Designer Brice Cooper chooses a whimsical shape that he then hangs in a freeform geometric grid. Painting the divider white creates continuity with the wall behind and the ceiling above.
Sheer GeniusShe simply cuts rectangle patches out of the fabric panel and sews in some sheer white panels. She then frames the sheer panel with a decorative ribbon that edges the geometric pattern and hides the seams. The result is a classy curtain that coordinates with other elements in the room. And, even when the curtains are drawn, you can still see through the sheer patches to the view outside. She even had enough fabric left over the make some posh accent pillows.
High-Class GlassUsing painter's tape, she marks off the geometric lines that she wants to paint and covers the glass where she wants it to stay clear. Then she just sprays the surface with a mirror-like spray paint. The tables now have a high-end glamour that complements the room's chic design.
Shadowy Paint EffectCooper makes a stencil out of railroad board, which is waxed on one side. To keep the board from warping, he spray paints the edges of the cutout where paint will touch it. Once dry, he adheres the stencil to the wall with painter's tape. To apply a thin, even coat that won't run or bubble, Cooper rolls the edges of the cutout first to even out the paint on the roller. Once that's set, the painting is quick and easy over the stencil.