Before: Rustic but BlandKathy and Mark Grzelak fill their lives with family, music and great food in a home that's decorated to suit their eclectic style. They love to cook, but their outdated kitchen doesn't lend itself to a comfortable cooking experience. The countertops are old and cracked, the colors are bland and there is too much clutter.
Kathy's father built these cabinets from trees in their backyard in Michigan about a year before he died, and the rustic hardwood floor complements the custom cabinetry. However, the drab colors and cracked countertops can go. The vintage stove is a cool element in the room. The Design on a Dime team warms up the kitchen with an Old World feel.
For all available product information, click on the After photo of the room.
After: A Taste of TuscanyInterior designer Frank Fontana comes up with some unique design elements to transform this kitchen into a rustic, Tuscan kitchen. Fontana and design coordinators Kelly Edwards and Ali Azhar apply a hardwood floor rejuvenator to the cabinets to smooth out the scratches and bring out the wood grain. The original drawer pulls are replaced with copper ones. Copper pendant lights illuminate the new color scheme and accessories. The team also refurbishes the countertops, transforms the kitchen island with tile and builds a mobile pot rack for versatility and style.
Island redo — $85
- tile spacers, 1/4 inch spacer, $6.49 — Menards
- crown molding, $0.99 — The Home Depot
Pendant lights — $76
- hanging lights, $9.99 — Ikea
- copper spray paint, $5.57 — The Home Depot
Cabinets — $159
- cabinet knobs, $0.99 (clearance bin) — The Home Depot
- floor rejuvenator for cabinet doors, $17.97 — The Home Depot
Countertops — $199
- skim stone, Winter Olive, $199 — Modern Masters
Faux finish — $84
- paint, Apple Crisp (yellowish color) Rustic Brick (orange color) 2091-20, mixed with glaze to go over Apple Crisp — J.C. Licht
Pot rack — $89
- kitchen island, 80035920, $79.99 — Ikea
- towel rack, 097081004, $9.98 — Target
- hook and loop fastener, 2620326, $2.99 — Jo-Ann Stores
- cart skirt fabric, Clermont Jewel 7347933, $14.99 — Jo-Ann Stores
Wine rack — $65
Lights and accessories — $242
- kitchen towel, 067071700, $1.99 — Target
- curtains, $29.99 — Bed Bath & Beyond
- puck lights, $29.47 — The Home Depot
- flower pots, $12.99 — Marshalls
- red flower pot, $9.99 — Marshalls
- vases behind sink, $18 — Marshalls
Total — $999
Stone-look CountertopFrank takes on the worn, cracked countertops with a skim stone refinishing product. He spreads a bonding primer on the countertop with a trowel (or with a brush on the bullnose sections). After two coats of primer, the color coat goes on. Fontana has chosen a Tuscan olive green, and the finish is a raw, stone-like texture, which adds a natural, organic touch to the kitchen. Finally, a food-safe sealer is applied with a rag, and it brings out the rich green tones.
Tiled IslandAli distinguishes one of the cabinets as a kitchen island by covering the countertop with colorful European tiles. He measures and marks out a grid for the tiles and then lays them out using 1/4-inch spacers. He starts in the middle, working outward so that the cut tiles on the edges will be symmetrical. He attaches decorative wood trim around the sides and grouts the tile. Now it's not only a functional countertop but also a colorful focal point in the room.
Mobile Utility CartKelly builds a mobile utility cart with room for pots to hang inside and extra countertop space on top. A towel ring on the side holds a kitchen towel, and hook and loop fastener attached to the cart and a curtain hides the clutter of pots and pans for a clean-looking cart.
Wine TimeOne of the cabinet doors is removed, and a wine glass rack and lighting are installed for a decorative display. A wine rack is mounted beneath the cabinet because no Tuscan kitchen would be complete without a few bottles of wine.
Copper Pendant LightsTwo new pendant lamps painted copper hang over the tiled island. They tie in with the copper cabinet handles and drawer pulls and the repainted copper stove hood.