Before: Vibrant ClutterJacinda and Zane Bullies' brightly colored, cluttered living room could use some organization. With a great appreciation for culture, they have lots of unique pieces they would like to have displayed, including several musical instruments.
The living room is the family room because of its open layout and welcoming atmosphere. The room has some great architectural features such as a curved front wall, hardwood floors and high ceilings, but the room is not very comfortable. One corner houses several drums and other musical instruments for family jam sessions. Books and CDs are stacked in cluttered confusion. The Bullies have a baby who will be walking soon, so they need childproof storage solutions. They want the room to be a creative retreat with a more relaxing feel.
With some creative fabric techniques, innovative storage options and tons of color, the Design on a Dime team turns the space into one fantastic family room.
For all available product information, click on the After photo of the room.
After: Lively Family RetreatInterior designer Brice Cooper removes the clutter and softens the colors to create a warm and lively family retreat. With help from design coordinators Ali Azhar and Kelly Edwards, the walls are painted an earthy brown-ocher tone, while vivid colors are brought in with luxurious fabric drapes and pillows. Storage is key for a family with three small children, so seating with drawers and a new armoire provide the solution.
Paint and supplies — $110
- wall paint, Home Depot, 022367442811 HD6012, $19.98/gallon — The Home Depot
- armoire paint, 082474934043 Ppexsedpbs quart, $11.48 — The Home Depot
- armoire glaze, 082474748046 faux glaze quart, $10.48 — The Home Depot
Planters and plants — $100
- foliage, 053011056108, $14.96 — The Home Depot
- planter boxes — container, 754826202611 4x10 PVC 40, $20.05 — The Home Depot
- planter boxes — endcaps, 012871628443 fitting, $6.16 — The Home Depot
- planter boxes — adhesive, 051527949105, $3.49 — The Home Depot
- planter boxes — sisal rope, 071514065007, 1/4 x 50, $3.49 — The Home Depot
Rug — $90
- rug, 066040586 5 x 8, rangoon bamboo, $89.99 — Target
Lamp — $55
- lamp, closeout thrift, $21.80 — Salvation Army
- coconut ring placemat used on lamp, 7955198, $9.99 — Jo-Ann
- lamp shade, $9.99 — Kmart
Custom bench — $140
- bench seating, closeout thrift, $49.05 — Salvation Army
- pillows for bench, closeout thrift, $20 — Salvation Army
- fabric for seating, 000100016, $15.73 — Hancock Fabric
Seating boxes — $13
Pillows — $100
- pillow form used in batik project, 1776772 Decorator's Choice, 14 x 14 inch, $4.99 — Jo-Ann
- paper for batik project, 18 x 24 inch, Pearl rough nw, $8.29 — Pearl Arts & Crafts
Blinds and fabrics — $140
- blinds, 358065, $12.99 — Cost Plus World Market
- ceiling tent – hangers, 622412053247 U bolts, $1.02 — The Home Depot
- fabric for ceiling tent, $102.85 — Textile Discount Outlet
- raspberry thread used on ceiling tent, 4321527, DD Thread raspberry, $1.99 — Jo-Ann
Light fixture — $65
- overhead light, 808339670198 6ft – 10mm rope lighting, $5.96 – The Home Depot
- light kit used in overhead fixture, TG 2403, $19.95 — Chicago Lighting Warehouse
Armoire — $80
- armoire, closeout thrift, $75 — Salvation Army
Stencil project — $28
- stencil, 7770878 Burgeoning Scroll, $5 — Jo-Ann
- stencil brush, 3/4 inch, $2.89 — Pearl Arts & Crafts
- turquoise paint for stencil, 236-ml, $7.99 — Pearl Arts & Crafts
- gel used for stencil, 6019277, gloss super heavy gel, $8 — Jo-Ann
Accessories — $72
- tiles on artwork, 361811, $4.99 — Cost Plus World Market
- mask, 349515, $19.99 — Cost Plus World Market
- vase, 2092408, vs bamboo trim sm, $18 — Pier 1
- beaded reeds in vase, 2076158, beaded ting, $8 — Pier 1
Total — $993
Cushioned Storage BenchThe Bullies' mismatched chairs are replaced with a custom-made bench composed of two end tables and an upholstered cushion on top. The drawers underneath provide extra storage, while the pillows add comfort and color. Some of the pillows are silk batik — an Indonesian method of handprinting textiles by coating with wax the parts that are not to be dyed — made by Kelly. Hanging over the bench are two planters made that Cooper created out of PVC pipes with PVC caps on the bottom and covered with sisal rope.
Seating BoxesA couple of wooden boxes with upholstered cushioned tops provide clever storage and mobile seating. They can be moved around the room to accommodate the family's many activities.
Lattice LightAli covers a multi-light fixture with lattice from a closet door he found in an alley; the lattice is spray painted gold. Draped fabric leading from the ceiling to the windows ("ceiling tents") adds a dramatic bohemian flair to the living room.
Lattice LightA thrift-store armoire gets the CDs, books and electronics off the floor and out of sight, behind closed doors. The stacks of clutter are now concealed within this rustic wooden armoire.
Stenciled AccentAbove the armoire, a simple pattern is stenciled in a turquoise color that contrasts with the brown wall. The color ties in with some of the throw pillows and other accents in the room.