Before: Mango MadnessSince moving in to their loft two years ago, Jazmine and Sean O'Neill have created a sleek, modern home, but decorating their guest room has been last on their priority list. The Design on a Dime team is on a mission to make the couple's guest bedroom a hip space with a hotel-like feel. They want to turn this colorful room into a classy space with cool accents, unique lighting and industrial designs.
The room has become a catchall storage room for out-of-season clothes, holiday decorations and golf clubs. With a brick wall and hardwood floors, though, the room has interesting textural elements.
After: Industrial Guest SuiteThe Solution
With the help of design coordinators Kelly Edwards and Ali Azhar, interior designer Brice Cooper re-orients the bed against another wall to make it more of a daybed and raises it up on a platform. The platform is upholstered in red fabric, which also replaces the wooden closet doors. Azhar makes a custom rug using carpet remnants and an industrial art piece made of galvanized pipes. Cooper creates a sculptured light fixture and a bold, abstract painting, while Edwards builds an industrial bolster in lieu of a headboard and fashions accent lighting for the cubbyholes.
Paint and supplies – $88
- wall paint, 022367399078 1452-0110 5G, $46.98 – The Home Depot
Bedding – $98
- white sheet set, Calvin Klein, 930167 CK 375TC QN, $59.49 – Costco Wholesale
- blanket on bed, 79155129930, Microloft FQ blanket, $29.99 – Bed, Bath & Beyond
Platform bed – $121
- rope lighting used on platform bed, 808339670235, 24', 10mm rope, $14.96 – The Home Depot
Bolster – $52
- galvanized pipe, flanges, etc., 191353, 032888406087, 053713125775, $1.52 to $8.64 – The Home Depot
- thread, 1048487 DD Thread Atom Red, $1.99 – JoAnn
- pillow, 20038016 10648 Gosa rund pillow, $9.99 – Ikea
Fabric – $65
- red fabric used on platform bed, wall bed roll and curtains – LZ Products/Textile Outlet
Chandeliers – $103
- silver rings, 7707391 D Ring ID, 10mm silver, $.99 – JoAnn
- ring curtains, $39.98 – Hobby Lobby
- fixtures, 20038016 12690 Larum pendant lamp, $22.99 each – Ikea
Custom light fixture – $60
- glue, Aleene, 3642246 Stiffen Quick, $4.99 – JoAnn
- glue, Elmer's Glue All, 026000003797, $1.77 – The Home Depot
- balloon, 000011179051441 Latex 4ct punch ball, $1.99 – Factory Card & Party Outlet
- string, 07908589829, cotton twine, $2.89 – Kmart
- lampshade, 07200085071, linen shade, $12.99 – Kmart
- foam brush, 80317, $0.93 – Kmart
- light kit, $19.57 – Chicago Lighting Warehouse
- lamp base, clear plastic, $10.81 – Salvation Army
- wire ball inside lamp base, 302147, small, $4.95 – CB2
Pipe artwork – $49
- galvanized pipe, flanges, nipples, caps, 032888405028, 032888406063, 032888991286, $.57 - $2.67 – The Home Depot
Custom rug – $110
- rug remnant, White Masland shag, $70.00 – Rexx Rug
- carpet tape, 010306109987 GT315, $4.81 – The Home Depot
- bathmat, 60042460 18404 Toftbo bathmat, $9.99 – Ikea
Seating area – $141
- accent table, 35699510 16386 Corras bedside table, $29.99 – Ikea
- black ottoman, 87341690411, square faux leather, $29.99 – Bed, Bath & Beyond
- black and white chair, 236000363, oval back upholstered chair, $50.04 – Target
- black and white cow fabric for pillow – LZ Products/Textile Outlet
Accessories – $109
- pillar candle, 629251, white medium, $2.95 – CB2
- black candleholder, 7317688 resin pillar holder ST Black, $14.00 – West Elm
- red and black pillow, 7098452 Mod geo WHT/BL/PON, $9.97 – West Elm
- shellac used in art piece above bed, $8.71 – Hi Grade Paint & Wallpaper
- white flowers, Agapanthus, $19.62 – A New Leaf
- curtain rod, 4319760412, tension rod, 60" white, $9.99 – Bed, Bath & Beyond
- red tote, 4941297383, faux leather tote large, $29.99 – Bed, Bath & Beyond
- red glass vase, 065110265, short, $12.99 – Target
Total – $996
String TheoryHe blows up the balloon, sprays on some adhesive and then wraps it with cotton twine, which will absorb the stiffener. He thoroughly applies a shellac-based spray to the string, and after it dries, he pops the balloon and removes it, leaving the string shell. A simple pendant light fixture and shade are fed through the top and wired to the ceiling. Voila! Mod designer lighting at a fraction of the cost!
Cubbyhole LightingThen she takes dozens of strings of wooden rings, which were originally designed to be window treatments, and attaches them to the frames with D hooks. The wooden rings are sprayed with a primer and then spray painted black. The modern chandeliers are hung from double light fixtures in the cubbyholes and have much stronger presence than the previous lights.
Cutting a RugHe advises to use to very sharp blade when cutting carpeting to ensure a clean line. He cuts out a section of the white rug, fits in the section of red rug and seams them together with carpet-seaming tape and a standard iron. The color-block carpet is an ideal accent for the new seating area.
Industrial Bolster PillowThe bolster pillow is cut down the middle with an electric cutting knife and fit over the pipe. Then red fabric is hand-sewn on the pillow, and the edges are tucked in around the pipe. The pipe is bolted to the wall behind the bed for a truly industrial touch.
Abstract ArtIt makes a dramatic statement in the small space and ties together the color scheme and modern industrial style.
Plumbing ArtThe metal on brick adds a unique textural element to the room.