Before: Outdated 1960s KitchenErin Maloney and Kevin O'Neill just bought their first home and are planning a big wedding. They painted the interior and installed hardwood floors, but the money ran out before they got around to fixing up the outdated kitchen. The Design on a Dime team comes up with a plan to refurbish the old cabinets, bring in some color and create a modern, sleek kitchen — all within their $1,000 budget.
The large window actually lets in too much light, so a window treatment is needed. The new stainless-steel and black range doesn't go with the white refrigerator. However, the dining table and chairs are classic and modern, so they will stay.
After: Sleek Colors and AccentsThe Solution
Interior designer Brice Cooper chooses a deep brownish red for the lower wall and a putty color for the upper wall, and design coordinator Kelly Edwards modernizes the chair railing with a faux finish. Ali Azhar builds a mobile storage unit with extra counter space, and the refrigerator is painted black to match the range.
Refrigerator revamp – $14
- spray paint, 020066788681, $4.07 each – The Home Depot
Cabinet resurface – $120
- paint, EVLTXHGB1, $10.99 – The Home Depot
- paint, EVLTXHGB3, $10.99 – The Home Depot
- brown paint, 020066798390, $3.12 – The Home Depot
- glaze, FAUXGLAZEGAL, $21.98 – The Home Depot
- squeegee, 761475921503, $4.96 – The Home Depot
- drawer pulls, Kosing, $1.99 each – Ikea
Chair rail – $83
Table settings – $88
- napkin rings, TOB, Tortoise, $2.99 each – Target
- rectangular plates, Metric Small Cream Dot, 428523, $4.95 each – Crate & Barrel Outlet
- square platter, Metric Cream Stripe, 428507, $15.95 – Crate & Barrel Outlet
- bowls, Addison Mini Bowl Merlot, 560987, $1.75 each – Crate & Barrel Outlet
- bowls, Red Bamboo, 653985, $7.95 each – Crate & Barrel Outlet
- small square porcelain bowls, white, 526916, $2.99 each – CB2
- napkins, closeout/final sale, $1.25 each – Crate & Barrel Outlet
Window treatments – $144
- rods, Silver Index, $9.99 each – Ikea
- rod hangers, Silver color index double wall hardware, $2.99 each – Ikea
- finials, Index Adel Silver color/oak, $8.99 – Ikea
- drapes, window sheer FC Linen Shr, 60x84, White, $16.99 each – Target
- sheers, window panel FC Linen, 54x84, Oatmeal, $19.99 each – Target
Moveable cart – $147
- casters, 2" swivel caster with brake, $5.39 each – Mt. Greenwood Hardware
- cart, 043197116680 Micro Cab, $83.30 – The Home Depot
Lighting – $189
- track lighting kits, Trk Kits 008938273725, $59.78 each – The Home Depot
Shelving and accessories – $210
- paint: wall color for above chair rail, Benjamin Moore's Elephant Tusk, OC-8, $17.99 – J.C. Licht
- paint: wall color for below chair rail, Benjamin Moore's Chestnut 2082-10, $21.59 – J.C. Licht
- silver spray paint (for backsplash), Ant. Pewter, $10.59 – The Home Depot
- message board, Bits-Silver rectangular message board, $12.99 – Ikea
- magnet clips (message board), Chefmate, $2.29 – Target
- hanging shelves, J-Rpen N. shlf 4, $9.99 each – Ikea
- brackets (hanging shelves), BJ-Rnum bracket, $8 each – Ikea
- wall clock, Atomic Quartz analog, $24.99 – Target
- Slope martini pitcher with stir rod, 495093, $12.95 – CB2
- magnetic spice tins, 10029398, $4.99 each – The Container Store
Total – $995
Mobile Kitchen CartWith a power strip for small plug-in appliances, the cart also provides much-needed extra counter space.
Refurbished RefrigeratorShe removes the door, covers the interior with newspaper and carefully tapes the edges with painter's tape. She sands the surface with 220-grit sandpaper, not to sand down to metal but to remove the gloss. Then she sprays it with black appliance paint in thin, even coats for a durable, washable finish.
Faux Finished CabinetsFirst he takes down all the doors, removes the hardware, scrapes off the white laminate and sands the surface. Then the cabinet doors are ready for the four-part faux finish process to look like zebra wood:
- Apply a light brown base coat.
- Add black variations for a natural look.
- Apply a faux glaze mixed with a putty color paint (50/50 ratio) and some brown paint on top.
- Use a razor to cut notches out of a shower squeegee and then drag off to remove some of the glaze/paint mixture.
Backsplash AccentHe uses pliers to cut a crimp every inch or so along the wood at an angle so that it looks like rope liner tile. Then he sprays on a light coat of primer and allows it to dry. He follows that with a coat of silver metallic paint, and when that dries, he applies a pewter glaze with a rag. He adheres the accent trim to the tile using a hot glue gun.
Chair Rail CharmIt ties the dining area in with the cabinets in the kitchen.