Before: Urban CamouflageChris McShea's downtown living room has a fantastic view of the Chicago skyline, but the rest of the room needs some help. He wants a simple, modern style with an eye-catching design, but nothing over the top. The Design on a Dime team comes up with cool lighting, funky furniture and practical storage that make his living room a hip and functional bachelor pad.
He really likes the view out the sliding glass doors that lead to the balcony, and he likes his two brown leather sofas. The walls are painted two odd shades of green (urban camouflage?) but are otherwise blank. The track lighting doesn't work, so one table lamp provides the only lighting for the room.
After: Skyline DesignThe Solution
First they rearrange the furniture to maximize use of the longest wall as a media wall. They add several creative storage solutions to conceal clutter and maintain the simple, clean lines of modern design. They supplement McShea's great leather sofas with a new bar, entryway organizer and new tables. Blue curtains bring in the sky tones and complete the outdoor elements theme.
Paint and supplies – $132
- wall paint, Benjamin Moore's Pismo Dunes, AC-32, $39.22/gallon – JC Licht
Media wall – $220
- veneer, 2x8 Rdovnedgb, $3.85 each – The Home Depot
- oak shelf, Lack wall shelves, $14.99 – Ikea
- wall units, Malm occ table 75, $69.99 each – Ikea
- fabric, $20 – LZ Products/Textile Outlet
Bookcase – $12
- bookcase made out of scrap wood pieces from other projects, $5 – Crawford Material Co.
Stone lamps – $95
- table lamp, white diamond, $7.48 each – Target
- brick veneer, Pro-fit ledge/carton corner, $50 per unit – Crawford Material Co.
- lampshades, 07200085073, $12.99 each – Kmart
Sconces – $30
- lamp, as-is depart SG, $3.99 – Ikea
- fluorescent lights, 043168404242, $8.97 each – The Home Depot
Coffee and end tables – $26
- side table, Lack nn side table, $12.99 – Ikea
- coffee table, parts-shelf wenge, $10 – Design Within Reach
Moveable bar – $125
- shelving unit, Expedit Bookc 5, $79.99 – Ikea
- fabric, $20 – LZ Products/Textile Outlet
- casters, 2-1/2" Indcstr, $5.44 each – The Home Depot
- ribbon, 7/8" Wvn Exp-Brown, $3.29 per roll – JoAnn
Entryway mirror – $125
- veneer, 2x8 Rdivnedgb, $3.85 each – The Home Depot
- mirror, $50 – Custom Showers, Inc.
- shelf, Malm bedside table, $49.99 – Ikea
Window treatment – $95
- window treatment rods (triple rod), Kvadrant Trpl C, $16.99 each – Ikea
- rail hangers (rods), Kvadrant ceil F, $3.99 each – Ikea
- fabric panels (drapes) Anno Felicia CU, $6.99 each – Ikea
- top/bottom rails, Kvadrant top/BT, $5.99 each – Ikea
Rug – $22
- rug, Karby, 4' 4", $19.99 – Ikea
Accessories – $115
- taupe mat, sq raff place mat esp, 7370042, $6 – West Elm
- pillar candle, 3x3 White Jasmine Bou, $2.99 – Target
- blue/silver glass candleholder, holder hurr alum tint, $9.99 – Target
- large round mirror, 81-giftware-018169885, $12.99 – Marshalls
- small round mirror, 81-giftware-018169847, $9.99 each – Marshalls
- decorative pillows, 60-domestics-007608621 & 018247303, $7.50 & $7.99 – Marshalls
- striped photo frame, 81-giftware-018536546, $22.99 – Marshalls
- small brown storage box, 080048 52 storage, $12.99 – HomeGoods
- large brown storage box, 080109 52 storage, $16.99 – HomeGoods
Total – $997
Skyline Media WallIt includes a revolving bookcase that can be turned around to conceal the clutter when McShea entertains. The wall incorporates three types of panels that overlap and stick out from the wall: light oak, dark mahogany and upholstered fabric panels.
Urban Stone LampThe lamp bases are made of brick veneer, which is commonly used on urban buildings. This texture reinforces the outdoor elements and cityscape theme.
Rolling BarShe attaches casters to the bottom so that it can roll out from the wall when McShea entertains, and she attaches a fabric-covered backer board to the back of the bar so that it has a finished back. It's great for displaying knickknacks, storing bar items and for entertaining.
Entryway OrganizerThe shelf provides a convenient spot for McShea to drop his keys and wallet when he comes in the door, while the bottom drawer conceals clutter. The mirror reflects the fabulous view, bringing the outdoors in and making the small room look larger.
Skyscraper SconcesHe took it apart to make two sconces, lit by fluorescent under-the-cabinet light fixtures. The sconces reinforce the city skyline theme and provide additional soft lighting to the room.