Before: Cluttered Hobby RoomAmber and Eric Gustafson have a gorgeous apartment that they have decorated on their own, but one room has been neglected. The Gustafson's multipurpose hobby room serves a lot of purposes and is cluttered with items for various uses for the space. There is a computer and desk, musical instruments, ironing board, sewing machine and a mattress shoved into the closet for overnight guests. The couple spends a lot of time in their hobby room and would like it to feel less tumultuous and not like a big walk-in closet.
The Gustafsons would like to change their boring bonus room into a fanciful and functional space. How does Amber define the style they want? "Fairy tale meets retro!" The Design on a Dime team signs on to transform this dull room into a retro-style office/sewing room/music room/guest room.
For all available product information, click on the After photo of the room.
After: Retro RedoSince it is such a small room but serves several purposes, interior designer Kristan Cunningham must maximize the use of space. She and design coordinators Spencer Anderson and Dave Sheinkopf paint the walls in warm retro colors: burnt orange, pea-soup green and mustard yellow. A horizontal band painted around the walls makes the small space feel larger and draws the eye upward. An updated desk and sewing area with lots of storage to conceal the clutter and a modified Murphy bed that doubles as Eric's keyboard stand round out the retro redo.
Bed and bedding — $160
- sheets, 011342200904, twin, $12.99 — Linens 'N Things
Paint — $70
- paint, Benjamin Moore's Autumn Cover, 2170-30, Buttercup, 2154-30, Cotton Balls, OC-122 — True Value
- stencil paint, Burnt Umber and Dark Chocolate, 5909155, 5910419, $.99 each, 2 oz. — JoAnn
Desk and sewing table — $75
- two-drawer vertical file cabinet, brown, $50 — Mr. Office
Chairs — $172
- stool, Traktor 70094123, $29.99 — Ikea
- chair, Skruvsta 70087151, $129 — Ikea
Lighting — $114
- overhead lamp, $75 — Plethoric
- lamp, 056119, $19.99 — HomeGoods
- floor lamp, Lighttrack, 019293965651, $19.99, 69" — Linens 'N Things
Storage — $177
- letter tray, Fniss, 0040083300 — Ikea
- box, Slugis, 30096464 — Ikea
- magazine files, Flyt 50022354, $2.49 each — Ikea
- shelf, Lack 00011013 — Ikea
- silver boxes, Emu, 30045417, set of 2 — Ikea
- wastebasket, Fniss 90096418 — Ikea
- white boxes, Lyckeby 30045417 — Ikea
- used canisters — Wright Thrift Shop
Fabric wall art — $41
- fabric on medium-density fiberboard behind shelves — International Silks
Sewing accessories — $22
- iron away (used) — Wright Thrift Shop
- mug rack, $8.99 — American Way
- sewing helper, 2673358 — JoAnn
Window treatments — $43
- curtain, Florence ,00089342 — Ikea
Shag rug — $52
- rug, Bts Shag, 044891045955, $51.99, 5x7 — Linens 'N Things
Frames — $70
- frames (used), $11 — Arcadia Welfare and Thrift
- decorative plaques — American Cancer Society Discovery Shop
Total — $996
Musical BedThis unusual green keyboard stand/bookcase actually pulls downs to reveal a twin size, horizontal Murphy bed with mattress and pillows that snap in place. It hooks to the wall at the top with hook-and-eye latches and has sturdy, retractable front legs. The front has pockets for books so that they won't fall out when the bed is lowered. It's an inviting spot for the occasional overnight guest, and now the keyboard and mattress have a permanent home, instead of being stored in the closet.
Modernized DeskDave builds Eric a new desk with an arched front, similar to his old desk but with more surface area and a surfboard edge. A two-drawer filing cabinet serves as part of the base and provides needed storage. Shelving on the wall provides more storage but doesn't block the window, as his previous hutch did. A retro orange chair and vintage desk accessories complete the desk area makeover.
Matching Sewing AreaDave builds a matching sewing tabletop for Amber but uses her mother's antique sewing machine base. A pullout ironing board is attached to the wall, so the ironing board is no longer in the middle of the floor. A vintage mug rack is turned into a spool rack with some paint and a little modification.
Container CentralColor and style replace clutter when new and vintage containers come together to organize this couple's stuff on new shelves over the desk. Magazine files, boxes and canisters conceal a variety of items. Vintage silk panels behind the shelves add more retro pizzazz.
Mood LightingA mix of new and vintage light fixtures like this unusual floor lamp add much-needed ambiance to this multifunctional hobby room. The stripes reinforce the horizontal band painted on the walls.
Artful DisplayEric's original artwork is prominently displayed over the Murphy bed with used frames from at a thrift store. The round artwork is hung in square frames so that the wall color shows through — no need for a mat here!