Before: Outdated and ClutteredAmahdy Bradley has a three-story condo in a renovated 1920s brownstone. Its rich colors, rustic brick walls and hardwood floors reflect the artist's hip, eclectic personality. His cluttered spare room, however, has bland white walls and gray carpeting. Stereo components stacked on top of a large-screen TV look cluttered in one corner, and the track lighting is too harsh for the jazzy lounge ambiance that Amahdy wants. To that end, he is ready to part with an outdated tiger-print futon and glass-top coffee table.
Amahdy wants to turn this dull room into a jazzy lounge where he can hang out with friends, listen to music and chill. The Design on a Dime team comes up with some creative ideas to turn the room into a cozy, hip space.
For all available product information, click on the After photo of the room.
After: Hip Jazz LoungeInterior designer Brice Cooper paints the walls a rich chocolate brown, with the help of design coordinators Kelly Edwards and Ali Azhar. The TV is moved to the opposite wall to make room for the new bar in the corner nook, and the stereo components are concealed to reduce clutter. A small-scale, tan sofa and a couple of wooden benches in the bay window provide seating, and tan dupioni silk curtains add a sophisticated touch.
Overhead lighting — $112
- light fixture kit for overhead lighting piece, 4" remod cn, 4" trim, R20, $52 — Chicago Lighting Warehouse
- square box used for overhead lighting piece, 050169001905, $0.98 —The Home Depot
- drywall used in overhead lighting piece, 3/8-8 drywall 081099000669, $7.29 — The Home Depot
- corner bead for overhead lighting piece, TPD Crnrbd 081099008764, $6.90 — The Home Depot
Paint and supplies — $197
- wall paint, Benjamin Moore tinted paint, Mocha Brown, 2107-20, 40000014245, $30/gal — JC Licht
Wall graphics — $53
- box graphic, $53 — Color Image
Coffee table — $80
- hardwood luggage rack (base of coffee table) 10024877, $39.99 — The Container Store
- serving tray, nicoise walnut, $19.99 — Target
- alligator vinyl fabric, 001349430, $6.38/yd — Hancock Fabrics
Media cabinet — $18
- media cabinet, CD storage unit, $18.11 — Unique Boutique
Bar — $73
- wooden bar cabinet, $3.63 — Community Thrift Store
- items for bar, restaurant supplies, $57.67 — D Cash Register Services
- knobs used for bar, NCF knob 10 satin nickel, $6.98 — Target
Cherry wall — $107
- cherry wood, 1/2 cherry plywood, $38.50 — Wood World
- light bulbs, 40WRESI 2p, $3.99 — The Home Depot
- strip lighting, 48 in. strip, $14.83 — The Home Depot
Benches — $66
- wooden benches, Molger, $29.99 each— Ikea
End table — $53
- serving tray, nicoise walnut, $19.99 — Target
- TV tray, black wood, $28.00 — Target
- alligator vinyl fabric, 001349430, $6.38/yd.— Hancock Fabrics
Curtains — $86
- drape panels, taupe diamond, 60-Domestics 018223648, $29.99 each — Marshalls
Sofa — $104
- armless sofa, SKU 17-44898, $99.95 — Wickes Furniture
Accessories — $50
- brown suede pillow, Sanela CSH 16x2, $14.99 — Ikea
- South Beach plate, 80-Giftware 002732442, $2.99— Marshalls
- wine glasses, Bella Ice Blue Wine 489042, $3.90 each — CB2
- shot glasses, Tower Ice Blue Shot 504807, $3.90 each — CB2
- vase, Cordone Ice Blue Vase 450286, $9.95 — CB2
- bowl, Ridge Stainless Steel Bowl 505935, $6.95 — CB2
Total — $999
Mood LightingAli replaces the harsh track lighting with a custom light fixture that includes a dimmer switch. He builds a 4x4 frame and covers it with drywall. Then he installs four recessed canned lights, one in each corner. He attaches the fixture to the ceiling, paints it chocolate brown to go with the walls and wires it to a dimmer switch.
Alligator TableKelly builds a unique coffee table out of a luggage rack, embossed faux alligator vinyl and a wooden serving tray. The tray is recessed into the plywood tabletop, which is covered with the faux alligator (upholstered with a staple gun). The tabletop sits on top of the luggage rack. Edwards uses the same embossed vinyl on a tray table, placed between the benches in the bay window.
Wall GraphicsTo add bright spots to the deep chocolate walls, Ali drew graphic designs on his laptop computer and sent the images to a local print shop, which printed them on thin sheets of tan vinyl. The hip designs are cut out and adhered to the walls for a visually interesting decorative element that virtually anyone can do.
Media CabinetThis sleek cabinet stores and conceals all of Amahdy's stereo components, eliminating the clutter near his TV and providing a display area. Bought for only $18 at a thrift store and then refinished, the cabinet's easy on the budget.
Bargain BarThis refinished cabinet has a couple of bar-friendly, custom features: a recessed/pullout ice bucket on top, and a pullout cutting board with sunk-in condiment tray inside the bar. Stainless-steel martini shakers and other bar accessories complete the retro bar.
Cherry Wall PanelOver the bar, Brice hung a sleek panel of cherry wood stained to bring out its rich grain and color, with one simple walnut display shelf attached. Installed behind the panel, along the side edges, however, are fluorescent lights that deliver a diffused glow around the panel to enhance the jazzy ambiance.