Before: Bold Red But No StyleAlisa Ho has lived in her condo for three months and still has no idea how to decorate her living and dining rooms. She loves the open floor plan and would like to see a modern industrial design that brings the two rooms together. She does a lot of entertaining, so she is leaning toward an industrial warehouse design that is fitting for a loft space. She wants a minimalist look with clean lines and neutral colors. Designer Kristan Cunningham, along with design coordinators Dave Sheinkopf and Spencer Anderson, set out to turn around this uninspired space for less than $1,000.
The white walls give the room a sterile feel, and the fireplace blends into the wall without a mantel. The wet bar is nice, except that it has no bar accessories.
After: Modern Industrial LoftThe Solution
A mantel is added to the fireplace. The expansive blank wall in the living room is partially covered with dark taupe fabric panels with a lighted nook for a vase. Ho's dining table gets a new modern base and chairs, while the ceiling fan is replaced with a Plexiglas fixture. The red ottoman is moved to the dining table to break up the solid mass of red in the living room and to add some color to the dining area. A custom-made concrete coffee table cements the industrial design.
Paint and supplies – $84
- Behr paint matched to Benjamin Moore: AC-32 (lighter) and AC-33 (darker), $24.99 – The Home Depot
Coffee table – $125
Table and chairs – $273
- dining chairs, Gilbert, 0059439, $49.99 – Ikea
Light fixture – $60
- Plexiglas – Gavrieli Plastics & Sign Supplies Corp.
- ball chain, 42551, $0.58/15" – Lowe's
Window treatments – $140
- curtains, Vinde Midi, 40058838, $19.99 - Ikea
- hardware, Diginet, 60075295, $9.99 – Ikea
Fabric wall panel – $85
- felt , Decorator's Choice, $6.99 per yd. – JoAnn Fabrics
- grasses, 8261894979, $1 each – Michaels
- vases, $6.99-$9.99 – T.J. Maxx
Bar and fireplace re-do – $50
- mantel and bar shelves, Lack, 50071311, 4-foot, $14.99 - Ikea
- wine glasses, Svalka, 00015134, $4.50/6 – Ikea
- glass racks, Gls, 19007110, $5.99 – Ikea
Accents and accessories – $85
Lights – $95
- lamps, Alang, 50029162, $19.99 - Ikea
- tea lights, Julen, 40096717, 50 cents each – Ikea
Total – $997
Modernized DiningThe red ottoman provides a splash of color on one side, while two new modern chairs balance the other side.
Concrete Coffee TableSheinkopf builds a base out of wood, which he paints the same gray color as the walls. Then he builds a rectangular tabletop, also out of wood, and covers it with an Italian limestone mixed with gray colorant to look like concrete.
Layered LightingThe layered lighting is suspended over the new dining table.
Fabric Wall PanelsThe nine panels of 24- by 36-inch sections cover an area of 12 feet long by six feet high. The panels have a lighted niche for a tall vase of grasses, balanced with a floor lamp on the other side of the chair.
A Usable Wet Bar