Before: Plain VanillaAspiring fashion designer Kamilah Evans loves her colorful condo in Chicago's historic Bronzeville neighborhood. She has a ton of energy, and you can see it in her home decorating. But when it comes to her home office, the white walls and cluttered desk make this fashionista's room not so cool. Designer Brice Cooper and design coordinators Kelly Edwards and Ali Azhar come up with a plan to turn Kamilah's love of pinks and chocolate browns into an ice cream-inspired room.
Kamilah loves anything bright, imaginative and creative, and her vibrant style lights up every room except one: her home office. It's a small, cozy room with white walls and hardwood floors. There's a plain white paper windowshade, and only one overhead light. Kamilah needs better organization so that the clutter won't distract her while she works.
For all available product information, click on the After photo of the room.
After: Neapolitan TreatWhen Kamilah mentions that she likes rich pinks, chocolate brown and cream, Brice immediately thinks of Neapolitan ice cream, which inspires the makeover color scheme. The desk is moved, and a new chaise lounge is brought in, so that the room can double as a guest room. Kelly makes hip window curtains out of a brown and cream shower curtain, with an extra band of fabric to lengthen them and a pink grosgrain ribbon to cover the seam. Coordinating throw pillows reinforce the color scheme.
Paint and supplies - $155
- wall paint - pink, Glidden, $18.51/gallon - The Home Depot
- wall paint - brown, Glidden, $18.51/gallon - The Home Depot
- wall paint - cream, 022367441395 Intltxfbs1gl, Glidden, $18.51/gallon - The Home Depot
Chaise lounge- $300
- woven chaise, 236000412, $269.99 - Target
Curtain - $49
- shower curtain (used as curtain/seat fabric), bath shop 234199, $10 - HomeGoods
- cream fabric (used on curtain), 6737035 LT Khaki Wrinklease, $6.99 - JoAnn
- pink ribbon (used on curtain), 5810700 RE 7/8 Pink grosgrain, $2.99 - JoAnn
- tassel, 24 decorative accessories 135503 - HomeGoods
- curtain rod, fine line 22-38 rod pewter/fine line acrylic B cle, $14.99/5.99 - Linens 'n Things
Pillows - $54
- star pillow, 24 decorative pillow 185898, $11.99 - HomeGoods
- circle pillow, 24 decorative pillow 185898, $11.99 - HomeGoods
- fuchsia pillow, 24 decorative pillow 134230, $16.99 - HomeGoods
Chair and cushion - $62
- desk chair, closeout thrift, $45 - Salvation Army
- pillow forms, 1776772 Decorators chk 14x14, $2.49 - JoAnn
Ironing board storage - $50
- ironing board, closeout thrift, $10 - Salvation Army
- cream spray paint, 165822 Bisque Gloss, $2.97 - Lowe's
- hooks for ironing board organizer, general hardware, $.20 - The Home Depot
- magnets for ironing board organizer, 77187876487, $2.61 - The Home Depot
- paper organizers (used on ironing board organizer), 52 storage 138025, $7.99 - HomeGoods
Pencils - $4
- pencils (painted pink), Staples yellow #2718103008945, $2.99 - Staples
Lighted cabinet - $68
- stain for cabinet - dark walnut, 1 qt. - The Home Depot
- fluorescent light in cabinet, 043180101105, $15.97- The Home Depot
- glass piece for cabinet, 09441650, $29 - The Home Depot
- switch for cabinet, electrical supply, white rocker switch - The Home Depot
- metal storage bins, 39 home office 019921, $12.99 each - HomeGoods
- pink beads, glass strands, $13.50 - Caravan Beads
- clear beads, glass accessory, $2.00 - Pier 1
Chandelier - $35
- fringe (used on chandelier), $4.32 - Hobby Lobby
- lampshades (used on chandelier), $3.99 - Hobby Lobby
- pink spray paint, Decorators pink, $2.97 - Lowe's
Art Project - $39
- clothing (for wall art project), closeout thrift, $12.99 - Salvation Army
- body forms (for wall art project), closeout, $7 each - Double R Display
- hooks for wall art, 049223503400, swag hook, $1.97 - The Home Depot
- decorative trim pieces for wall art, unfinished, assorted designs - The Home Depot
Accessories - $181
- desk set, 55 stationery 661780, $15 - HomeGoods
- pink box w/lid, 39 home office 019765, $9.99 - HomeGoods
- pink in/out box, 39 home office 019935, $7.99 - HomeGoods
- clock, Thomas O'Brien accessory, $19.99 - Target
- pink vase, 065061608, Pink Lisbon glass vase, $29.99 - Target
- tape measurer (used on wall art project), 7536048 120, $1.49 - JoAnn
- dry erase board, 17x17 blk foam wd, $15.99 - Staples
- desk lamp, 07200085062 lamp base, $27.49 - Kmart
- desk lampshade, 07200085076 lamp shade, $6.99 - Kmart
Total - $997
Colorful WorkspaceThe desk is moved to the opposite wall so that it's not the first thing one sees upon entering the room. The walls are painted with Neapolitan colors: brown on the bottom half, a one-foot band of cream around the center and deep pink on the top part. A thrift-store chair is painted pink and sports a cushion that matches the new curtains.
Beaded Storage CabinetAli builds a beaded storage cabinet to match Kamilah's colorful personality. It's a wooden storage unit stained walnut and has pullout metal bins. The top, however, glows with a glass panel with pink and clear beads that have been hot glued to the top and a sheet of hot pink gel on the back. A small fluorescent light inside the unit (controlled with a rocker switch on the outside) illuminates the beaded top from within. The cabinet is hung on the wall for a floating feel.
Girlie Pink ChandelierBrice updates a gold-tone chandelier by spray painting it pink, including the chain. He adds cream-colored shades to "class-up" the ordinary light fixture. Then he hot-glues pink, beaded, feathery fringe around the base of each shade for added character.
Ironing Out the ClutterFor a storage solution with a fashion-inspired twist, Kelly buys an ironing board at the thrift store and removes the legs so that it will hang flush on the wall. She spray paints it cream and attaches two pink paper organizer boxes to the board with lag bolts. With inexpensive magnets, the board is also a great place for notes and mementos.
Fashionable ArtBrice creates fashion-inspired wall art using two dress forms that he has spray painted cream. He dresses them with shirts from a thrift shop, hangs them on the wall and frames them with molding for a finished look. The first one represents inspiration, while the second represents realization. Together they symbolize that Kamilah can realize her dream of owning a boutique someday.
Custom-Painted PencilsNo fashionista's desk would be complete without custom-painted, girlie pink pencils! This simple idea can be adapted to any office decor in any color.