Trendy LoungeCathy and Jim Lingenfelter love to entertain, and as a result they have put a lot of time and effort into remodeling their kitchen. But, no one ever spends time in the living room. The only time they enter the space is to turn on the jukebox, then they immediately leave to go back to the kitchen. The homeowners have some conflict when it comes to style. He likes contemporary, while she does not. But she doesn't like traditional either. The one thing they do agree on is they both like funky.
The makeover starts by painting the walls a soft beige-pumpkin color. The warm color helps makes the huge room feel cozier.
New window coverings were not in the budget, so valances are made to dress up the drab drapes. A small diamond pattern is cut into the border to create visual interest. The easy-to-make valance covers are crafted using a no-sew technique.
Paint – $72
- paint: Behr's Heathcoate 0824742-60012
Window treatments – $35
- valance fabric: black beach umbrella – 7548142 purchased at JoAnn Fabrics
- iron-on fabric for lining: WT Shirt Tailoring – 94067 purchased at JoAnn Fabrics
Coffee TableA deep coat of black paint gives it a contemporary touch. The centerpiece is made from a large, old can and some twigs from the neighbor's yard. The homeowner's cocktail set adds to the trendy lounge feel.
Coffee table – $68
- paint: Behr's black semigloss - INTLTX-GBLGL
Twig sculpture – $6
Seating AreaSudet creates some personal artwork for the homeowners. A photo of their children and dog gets changed to black and white and then increased in size. A projector is used to transfer the image onto the canvas. Sudet and Steffend first pencil the lines onto the canvas and then fill them in with paint.
Slipcover – $110, Pillows – $35
- sofa fabric: SR Harris Fabric Outlet
Lamps – $10
- paint for lamps: Modern Masters Metallic Mezzi Warm Silver Opaque, purchased at Hirshfield's
Graphic artwork – $15
- art supplies: Dick Blick Art Supplies
Side ChairsThe fun, geometric pattern gives a slightly retro feel to the room.
Armchairs – $130
- fabric: Geometria Cruz – 7959786, purchased at JoAnn Fabrics
ShelfA graphic wall sculpture that is positioned over the shelf is made from from mirrors and some scrap lumber.
Mirror sculpture – $5
- vase/candleholder: Ikea - Kolja/34890100