Before: College-Age ColorKrina Patel is a young, busy pharmacist with a condo in the heart of the city. While she has decorated the rest of her home according to her personal style and interests, the bedroom is a mishmash of stuff that didn't fit elsewhere.
She's ready to let go of her college furniture and the lavender color that doesn't fit into her new, more adult style. The rest of Krina's home is decorated in modern greens, deep reds, oranges, rust and rich yellows, but this room is lagging. In particular, she loves the view of the city out the large window but not the bright sunlight that shines in at 6 a.m. She'd like a warm rug for when she steps out of bed in the morning.
For all available product information, click on the After photo of the room.
After: Serene RetreatLead designer Brice Cooper and design coordinators Kelly Edwards and Ali Azhar replace the youthful purple with a serene sage green. Kelly makes window hangings that are cool to look at but don't obstruct the cool city view. Ali builds a hip platform bed using walnut, which is a versatile hardwood that fits their budget. Crisp new bedding and a plush tan rug tie the new color scheme together. Custom-made shelves, nightstands and new reading lamps round out the modern redo. This sleek, yet peaceful transformation reflects Krina's keen sense of style — all on a budget of less than $1,000.
Paint and supplies - $60
- Glidden, HD6012GL eggshell color matched to Benjamin Moore's Sage Green, $18.98/gallon - The Home Depot
Platform bed - $120
- bed/wall mirror shelf, 104-044050 4/4 walnut lumber, $6.70/board foot - Wood World
- stain for bed, mirror shelf, gel stain, dark walnut - Wood World
Bedding - $150
- full sheet set, 60 Domestics 007042830, $24.99; standard pillowcases, 60 Domestics 007295467, $12.99 - Marshalls
- full fitted sheet, 65985775682, $10.99 - Kmart
Wallpaper and supplies - $55
- wallpaper, 122544 Norwall Linen Tex, $11.97 - Lowe's
- stencil paint, 166340 1/2 PT Nutmeg Ame, $3.48 - Lowe's
- stencil, 7246408 Pine Bough, $7.99 - JoAnn
- stain for wallpaper background, gel stain, dark walnut - Wood World
Rug - $90
- 052104842 11657947 MDS 1 - Urban Outfitters
Wall shelving - $23
- bed/wall mirror shelf, 104-044050 4/4 Walnut Lumber, $6.70/board foot - Wood World
- stain for mirror shelf, gel stain, dark walnut - Wood World
- mirror, 074110205, door mirror, plastic white, $5.99 - Target
Dresser - $15
- closeout thrift model; dresser was stripped and re-stained - Community Thrift Store
Shadow Boxes - $50
- wall shelf, Portal Espresso 498335, $24.95 - CB2
- paper (as backing for wall shelves), 6193098 12 Dawn Sky, $0.59 - JoAnn
Nightstands - $60
- 655118000581 Hardwood Ply, $26.88- Home Depot
Lighting - $103
- lamp base 074000924, $19.99; lamp shade 074080179, $16.99; harp 074080091, $2.49 - Target
Window treatment - $160
- curtain rod, 096042022230, 48-86", R BRO, $19.99 - Linens 'n Things
- curtain panels, 738790467504, Napa Suede 96" panel, CHO, $24.99 - Linens 'n Things
- curtain rings, 692474138275, wood rings, $9.99/pack of 6 - Linens 'n Things
- curtain rod end caps, 096042022445, $9.99 - Linens 'n Things
- fishing line, 091000621 fine line #12 clear, $7.99 - Target
- wood disks, 4883294 1 3/4"x3/16" circle/4882361 1 1/2" circle 7 PC, $0.99 - Joann
Decorative accessories - $110
- tan wicker boxes, 303570 large, $7.99/303567 small, $6.99 - HomeGoods
- wood vase, 33 decorative accessories 722582, $7.99 - HomeGoods
- bark wood vase, 000000369918 Banana Bark Vase R 1A, $19.99 - World Market
- black wicker boxes, 84-decorative accessories, large 011293981, $12.99/medium 01129394, $7.99/small 011293905, $5.99 - Marshalls
- decorative reeds, Natural Reed Bunch 630683, $15.95 - CB2
- wood vase with orchids, 44444458120 Cherry Blossom in Vas 1T, $19.99 - Bed Bath & Beyond
- candle, 44444418311 Antga 3 x 6 candle, $9.99 - Bed Bath & Beyond
Total - $996
Funky Window TreatmentKelly makes a hip window treatment to hang between brown microsuede curtain panels. Using small, pre-cut, wooden circles from a craft store, Kelly drills two tiny holes in each one, near the edges. Then she stains the wooden circles to match the other wood projects — the custom-made bed and shelving. She strings the circles together using fishing line. Because fishing line is hard to knot, she threads it though each hole once, loops it around the edge and then threads it through the same hole again. The circles are tied several inches apart and hung between the curtain panels. The hanging circles add a modern shape and natural wood texture to the window treatment.
Mirrored BookshelfBrice builds a horizontal storage unit with a mirrored back that provides depth and accentuates the view of Krina's room. He starts by measuring and marking his wood pieces, lining up his shelf with the mirror and predrilling some holes. He countersinks the screws so that they are recessed and then fills them with wood putty for a smooth finish. The shelf unit is stained to match the platform bed and hung over the bed in lieu of a headboard. The mirror is attached inside the frame with hook-and-loop fastener.
Stenciled Closet DoorsKelly dresses up the bare closet doors with a roll of textured wallpaper, a wispy stencil template and some brown paint and stain. Using a stencil brush, she dabs brown paint through the stencil in a repeated pattern on the wallpaper. You can customize stencils with any color, by placing the stencil at different angles or by dabbing the paint on thick or thin.
When the paint is dry, Kelly rubs on a thin layer of brown stain to bring out the texture of the wallpaper. She uses just the right amount to add color, but not too much that it will take over the entire look of the project. Once the stain is dry, she enlists Brice's help to wet and apply the wallpaper on the closet doors. The one-of-a-kind treatment transforms the boring white doors into an artful wall.
Dressed-Up DresserBrice found a stylish modern dresser at a thrift store for only $10 and refinished it for $5 in supplies for a grand total of $15. The dresser declutters Krina's bedroom, provides plenty of storage and adds economical style.
Shadow Box StyleBrice brings in more stylish storage with two shadow boxes that he found on clearance for half price. To add more color to the room, he cuts to size some scenic scrapbook paper to fit in the back of the boxes. For less than $50, he adds color, shape and storage to the wall.