The DilemmaRachel and Kevin Moore have taken a minimalist approach to decorating their Chicago home. However, their small bedroom is bland and uninviting. Plus, storage is non-existent, and comfort is next to none. The Design on a Dime team aims to fire up the style, practicality and character of the space on a budget of $1,000.
Rachel and Kevin's bedroom doesn't reflect anything about their interests or personalities. The walls are totally blank, and the whole space lacks color. There are no closets in the space, so they currently store their clothes outside the bedroom. The window in the bedroom is generously proportioned, but it lacks any sort of treatment, further dragging the room down.
The SolutionA color scheme of vibrant reds and oranges set the stage for a chic transformation in the space. The team creates a closet solution using shelving and draperies, and they create a focal point with a new headboard. A handy windowseat doubles as a place to sit and as a storage bin. Nightstands for each have a storage element to house their bedtime reading. Edgy black-and-white wall art top off the room's new look.
Paint and supplies - $108
- Glidden color matched to Benjamin Moore Spiced Pumpkin, $18.98 per gallon - The Home Depot
Bedding and pillows - $52
- bedding, 030473158229, $14.99 - Linens 'N Things
- duvet cover, 73941511482, $39.97 - Linens 'N Things
- shams, 030473158250, $7.49 - Linens 'N Things
- fabric for throw pillows, $1.58 per yard - Jo-Ann Etc.
- pillow forms, 5722988, $8.99 each - Jo-Ann Etc.
Custom artwork - $99
- color large-format prints, $40 - FedEx Kinko's
- frames, 15246, Ribba, $24.99 each - Ikea
Closet and curtain - $152
- shelving system, 075381056366, $42.98 - The Home Depot
Headboard - $55
- batting, 2180313, $4.66 - Jo-Ann Etc.
- fabric, 5800867, $3.99 per yard -Jo-Ann Etc.
- button covers, 2687135, $2.89 - Jo-Ann Etc.
Nightstands and lamps - $170
- faux leather lamp table, 065110326, $29.99 - Target
- side tables, 10973, Corras, $29.99 each - Ikea
- vases for lamps, 295653, $14.99 each - Marshalls
- lamp kit for vases, $7.98 - The Home Depot
Window treatments - $67
- fabric used as stripe, 6581185, $1.59 per yard - Jo-Ann
- drapery panels, 10083698, Ritva, $29.99 - Ikea
- curtain rods, 70079349, Index, $9.99 each - Ikea
- curtain rod hangers, 30079351, Index, $1.99 each - Ikea
Windowseat - $120
- four-shelf tower, 249100049, $79.99 - Target
- foam for cushion, 218031, $4.66 - Jo-Ann Etc.
- fabric, 7953599, $19.99 per yard - Jo-Ann Etc.
New ceiling fan - $65
Under-bed storage $110
- medium-density fiberboard, $7.99 - The Home Depot
- track roller, 049793071415, $3.13 - The Home Depot
- latch, 042049949599, $3.13 - The Home Depot
- copper bracket, 771878762788 - The Home Depot
- copper tee, 042805153086 - The Home Depot
- copper elbow, 042805153109 - The Home Depot
- copper cap, 042805152980 - The Home Depot
- copper elbow, 042805152744 - The Home Depot
- copper pipe, 400020004772, $9.78 - The Home Depot
Total - $998
Headboard Becomes Bedroom Focal PointSpicy red walls are the backdrop for dramatic style. A sophisticated upholstered headboard makes the bed a rich focal point in the space. Luxurious bedding with plenty of coordinating throw pillows create a spot Rachel and Kevin will look forward to at the end of the day.
Custom art Adds Urban StyleDesigner Brice Cooper hits the streets of Chicago to find custom wall art for the room. He takes black-and-white photos and enlarges them at a copy center. Matted and secured in black frames, the photos add an edgy urban vibe to the room.
Wire Shelves Provide Storage SolutionDesign coordinator Ali Azhar creates a closet solution. Wire shelving is secured to one wall in the space and camouflaged with rich draperies. When the panels are closed, the closet virtually disappears.
New Nightstands and LampsNew nightstands in a rich espresso tone flank the bed to give each person a place to store books and other personal items. New lamps are created from simple vases. The vases are fitted with lamp kits (available at home-improvement stores), and now each person has a lamp for bedtime reading.
Fabric Used for Drapes and WindowseatThe large window is dressed with rich draperies in red and chocolate brown. A windowseat below offers a spot for dressing as well as concealed extra storage. A simple fabric panel is attached to the front of the open piece, using hook-and-eye fastener, and a cushion in coordinating fabric tops the piece.
Contemporary Ceiling fan Completes LookA new ceiling fan complements the chic look in the space with rich espresso tones and a contemporary light fixture.