Before: No PersonalityFilm buff Karina Teismann imparted her eclectic style on her apartment in all the rooms but her bedroom. The bedroom is large with minimal furnishings and drab walls, and it doesn't represent Karina's unique sense of style. She has a collection of vintage cameras that she'd like to showcase in the space, and the bed lacks impact. She wants this space to also be feminine and funky, just like her.
After: Funky and StylishThe design team pumps up the color in the space and gives it a feminine style. They design a way to showcase Karina's cameras, and they also give the boring closet doors some style. They change up the furniture placement to create a luxurious, cozy space with ambient lighting.
Upholstered HeadboardDesign coordinator Kelly Edwards creates an upholstered headboard to visually anchor the bed in the space. Classic black fabric adds a touch of sophistication.
DresserDesign coordinator Ali Azhar updates Karina's existing dresser by routing the corners to complement the room's new art-deco look. Then he adds a layer of medium-density fiberboard (MDF) to the sides for added dimension. Decorative drawer pulls and a fresh coat of cream-colored paint dress it up.
ChandelierKelly adds sparkle to a secondhand chandelier by adding designer touches like decadent beads and tiny mirrors to reflect the light.
Closet DoorsAli paints the trim black to make it pop against the creamy-white background. Host and interior designer Brice Cooper revamps a thrift-store vanity into a spot where Karina can get glamorous.
ShelvesNext, Brice creates the shelving to showcase Karina's vintage camera collection. He mounts a platform to the wall and creates a panel for the display to lean on. The panel is actually a screen that she can project old movies onto, if she so desires.
DraperiesRich charcoal-gray draperies flanking either side of the display shelving give the space a high-end look, and the retro furnishings offer an unexpected combination in the space.
Vintage VictrolaA sleek lamp provides ambient light in the space, while a vintage Victrola gets a funky coat of paint and serves as a minibar.
Paint and supplies - $59
- wall paint, Glidden, color matched to Benjamin Moore Mulberry Wine - Home Depot
- trim paint, Glidden, EVLTXHGB1 color matched to Benjamin Moore Wentworth Cream - Home Depot
- furniture paint, Glidden, Dark Secret - Home Depot
Victrola revamp- $34
- $10 - Community Thrift Store
Doors revamp - $105
Vanity and ottoman - $168
- fabric for ottoman - Kane County Flea Market
- vanity, $150 - Kane County Flea Market
Window treatments - $124
- curtain rods, 068050041, $14.99 - Target
Chandelier - $95
Display shelves - $25
Movie screen - $27
- drapery fabric - Kane County Flea Market
Dresser revamp - $28
- drawer pulls, $10 - An Antique Store
Bedding - $145
- bed skirt, 060100573, $15.99 - Target
- coverlet, 675716055158, $79.99 - Kohl's
- sheet set, 012534984, $29.99 - Marshalls
Headboard - $120
- fabric - Kane County Flea Market
Lamps and accessories - $67
- lamp, 065091456, $17.48 - Target
- martini set, $10 - Goodwill
- makeup mirror, $10 - Community Thrift Store
- martini glasses, $7.99 - Community Thrift Store
Total - $997