BeforeLenny Bell's spare bedroom serves as both home office and lounge area. His first attempt at a style direction for the room has left him wanting more, so he's enlisted the help of the Design on a Dime team to transform the space into a hip and jazzy place to hang.
Lenny's house is loaded with muted, color-drenched hues that look great in ambient light. He'd like to see the same in the spare room. His desk is a cluttered mess, and his filing system could use an overhaul. The seating area lacks interest, and the wicker chest he's using as a cocktail table just isn't cool enough for him.
AfterThe team sets out to design a space that will keep the room's separate areas, but liven them up a bit. They plan to add moody lighting and sophisticated draperies. A new desk and proper storage units will help get Lenny's workspace under control, and a filing solution in the nook beside the desk should make better use of the space. Here's how they pull it all together.
The team gets started by giving the walls a coat of a deep butterscotch for the office side and a chocolatey-brown for the lounge side. The wall colors are framed by painting all the moldings black.
Clarinet lampDesign coordinator Kelli Edwards creates a jazzy new lamp from a used clarinet she found in a music shop. She outfits it with a light kit and tops it with a chic shade with black edging.
Storage nookHost and interior designer Brice Cooper designs a decorative shelving unit to look like an upright bass. He uses speaker cable for "strings" and paints the whole thing black. Details in white add the finishing touch.
Next, Brice creates wall art using the same striped fabric that is on the draperies. He attaches the panels to the inside of a black cornice box that is decorated with unique glass tiles. The interior-lit box allows the highlighted panels to hang a few inches from the wall for added dimension.
ShelvesHe then builds a geometric shelf for above the desk area. A coat of black paint blends it with the rest of the trim in the room. Personal mementos and chic accessories complete the look.
Table, cube and rug - $174
- Coffee table, 40000060, $89.99 - Ikea
- Black ottoman, $29.99 - Marshalls
- Area rug, 451444, $39.97 - Home Depot
Curtains - $80
- Brown velvet panels, 50079374, $59.99 - Ikea
- Curtain rods, 93517680, $1.99 each - IKEA
Wall panels - $48
Cornice box - $62
- Coaster, Fina Red, 069458494, $4.95 - Z Gallerie
Display box - $65
Clarinet lamp - $50
- Desk lamp, 008938714631, $17 - Home Depot
- Cream and black lampshade - $10
- Clarinet, $35
Paint and supplies - $116
- Benjamin Moore, HC-73 interior flat, HC-22 interior flat
- Glidden, interior latex semigloss, Dark Secret - Home Depot
Divider panels - $92
- Brown fabric, $4.95 per yard
- Orange baffle, $8 per yard
Bass shelf - $70
Desk - $87
- Stockholm, Dark Alder, $80 - Target
Wall storage - $10
Desk chair - $22
- 249000050, $19.99 - Target
Accessories - $122
- Linen photo boxes, $6.99 each - Target
- Cocktail shaker, 070050037, $9.99 - Target
- Alarm clock, 074100194, $9.99 - Target
- Candles, 054050641, $17.99 - Target
- Wooden charger, 200012121, $6.99 - Target
- Martini glasses, 2000111105, $3.99 - Target
- Pencil cup, 735854000011, $5.99 - Office Depot
- Yellow vase, 2060822, $5.00 - Pier 1
- Faux orchids, Lily Red, 2047745, $4.00 - Pier 1
Total - $998