Helen Gibb creates a ribbon photo album.
Materials and Tools:
Album Kit - 10" x 11-1/2" cover size
5-1/4" x 3-3/4" fabric print
2 pieces thin cotton batting for album covers
2 pieces thin cotton batting for silk print
2, 14" x 14" pieces of gold dupioni silk fabric for album covers
2 sheets decorative paper for inside album covers
26" of 5/8" wide dark gold pleated crepe georgette ribbon
5-1/2" of 5/8" wide light gold pleated crepe georgette ribbon
19" of multi colored flower bud trim
1 yd. olive/gold leaf trim
19" of 1" wide cranberry striped ombre wire edge ribbon
15" of 1" wide purple striped ombre wire edge ribbon
4-1/2" of 3/8" wide pale gold silk satin ribbon
4-1/2" of 3/8" wide beige silk satin ribbon
4" of 5/8" wide olive green ombre wire edge ribbon
12" of 1 1/2" wide olive green ombre wire edge ribbon
12" of 3/4" wide green jacquard ribbon
5" x 4" crinoline
gold seed beads - optional
book - Ribbonwork presents a better understanding of how to make ribbon flowers.
1. Glue a piece of batting to each album cover. Set one cover aside to be the front cover. Cover the back album cover with a piece of gold silk fabric, mitering the corners. Finish the inside of the cover with a piece of decorative paper (figure A).
2. Print a fabric print using a cotton printer sheet and a photo from your computer. A suitable size is 5-1/2" x 3-3/4". Optional idea: use a pre-made fabric print. Place a piece of batting under the print and fold the raw edges of the fabric over the batting. Sew the dark gold pleated crepe ribbon around the print with small running stitches (figure C). Set aside.
3. On the remaining piece of gold silk fabric, determine where the fabric print will be placed, and mark with pins. Measuring from the center of the print evenly space and stitch in place the olive/gold "leaf" trim to the fabric. This will form a striped effect on the fabric. Tip: Don't place any trim under the area of the photo (figure D). Accent the trim with seed beads.
4. Sew the fabric print to the "striped" fabric, and at the same time attach the multi colored flower trim (figure E). Accent with seed beads.
5. Make two large folded roses with 12 inches of purple or red striped ribbon for each rose.
6. Make two small gold folded roses with ruffles using the satin silk ribbon and the pleated ribbons.
7. Make two flat buds using 3 inches of purple and red ribbons for each bud.
8. Make three prairie point leaves using 4 inches of ribbon per leaf.
9. Make three half boat leaves using 4 inches of ribbon.
10. Sew the flowers and leaves to crinoline in an "L" shape pattern. Sew the large roses first, followed by the large leaves. Add the smaller roses and buds. Cut away excess crinoline. Sew the composition to the bottom left corner of the fabric print and gold silk fabric (figure Q).
11. Place the embellished gold silk fabric over the remaining album cover and cover as in step one.