Before: Bland and BoringMeredith Wilson and Chris DeZutter love the colorful decor of their home, but their bedroom lacks pizzazz. They attempted a makeover in their bedroom once before, but the serene theme they thought they wanted now bores them. They need light for reading in bed and storage in the space, as well as style and color. Their dogs, Bert and Mollie, spend as much time in the room as they do, so pooch-friendly design is a must.
These dog lovers want a unique and colorful space where they can spend time with their dogs and each other. Here's how the Design on a Dime team creates a vibrant retreat for less than $1,000.
After: Stylish and FunctionalDesign coordinator Ali Azhar designs a custom wall unit and a spacious dog bed that will offer function and style for everyone. A bedside dog ramp with storage and shelving with bins on the walls will keep clutter at a minimum. Personalized accessories and ample lighting will create an inviting space for unwinding.
Wall-Mounted ShelvesWall-mounted shelves offer storage and a place to display personalized accessories.
Dog RampA custom-designed bed offers the dogs a sophisticated space of their own. The new dog ramp has a hinged lid for storage and allows Bert and Mollie to leap into bed with their owners whenever they want.
Throw PillowsCreamy-yellow colored walls provide a mellow backdrop for the geometric design of the bedding. Terrycloth throw pillows made from bathroom towels add a touch of cozy style.
Geometric DesignsThe new wall unit has display shelves along the sides for storage and accessories, while the built-in lighting above provides a great spot for reading. The mirrored headboard is made by mounting miniature mirrors to a piece of plywood and mounting the finished piece on the exposed wall area.
Custom PortraitsDesign coordinator Kelly Edwards creates a new ceiling fixture, while a modern floor lamp creates subtle light in the space. Like most parents, Meredith and Chris love pictures of their "children," so host Brice Cooper designs a custom portrait of Bert and Mollie for prominent display in the space.
Hanging shelves - $81
Dog bed - $99
- Fabric - Coral Cove Lime, 7497324, 4.00/yard - JoAnn
- Fabric - Domestics 006165059, 8.00/yard - Marshalls
- Fabric - American Accents, Buttercup/Hunter Green/Black/Apple Red - Glidden
Dog ramp - $43
Paint - $42
- Interior flat 355 - Benjamin Moore
Bedding - $154
- Sheets - 14 bed ensemble, 055823, 39.99 - HomeGoods
- Comforter, bedskirt, pillow shams - 14 bed ensemble, 055868, 99.99 - HomeGoods
- Pillow sham - 006898, 17.99 - Ikea
- Hand towel - Tanja, 5.99 - Ikea
Pillows - $7
Bed unit - $123
Light fixture - $14
- Half-circle place mat, 1048200409, 2.99 - Bed Bath & Beyond
- Lamp pipe, 030721702709, $4.48 - Home Depot
- Lamp kit, 030721702693, $6.95 - Home Depot
- Replacement shade, $15.99 - Target
Headboard - $40
- Mirror - Malma, 1.99 each - Ikea
Dog-photo art - $95
Accessories - $122
- Vase - Passus, 14" 90080846, 19.99 - Ikea
- Bowl - Passus, 11", 19.99 - Ikea
- Ribba frame, 56690800 19 x 18, 19.99 - Ikea
- Muck box, 12x10, 11.99 each - Ikea
- Ribba frame, 00063262 9 x 9, 7.99 - Ikea
- Kassett box, 00063262, 9.99/for two- Ikea
Rug - $130
- Vitten, 90055093, 119.00 - Ikea
Floor lamp - $49
- Duni, 94890300, 44.99 - Ikea
Total - $999