Storage SolutionsLee gets to work on the light and airy headboard design for the platform bed. He cuts evenly-spaced notches in two support beams with a table saw then inserts wooden slats horizontally in the notches, attaching them with wood screws. He builds the base of the bed using four, 2-by-8-inch pieces of pine. The platform is made with two, 3-by-6-foot pieces of birch plywood. Brackets attach the plywood to support beams underneath to keep the platform in place. Lee then stains all of it a rich-mahogany color and attaches the headboard to the wall.
Asian-inspired accent mirrors for above the headboard get a coat of brown spray paint to blend them with the room's organic theme.
Three matching bookcases give Kirsten twice the amount of storage for her stereo and CDs, and eight matching baskets give her plenty of space to stash her necessities. A series of small contemporary accent mirrors are mounted above the bookcases. Lee and Charles then bring in plants and exotic accessories to tie the whole look together.
Platform bed and headboard - $200
Bedding and pillows - $176
- Sheets - Wamsutta, 021191100218, $19.99, Queen - Linens 'N Things
Lighting - $45
- Table lamp - Nara, $19.99 - Cost Plus World Market
- Light shade fabric - $14.95/yard - International Silks
Window treatment - $45
- Silk - green/blue, $5.99/yard - Kashcool
Bookshelves - $196
- Sauder - 031262005410, $19.99 (clearance) - Wal-Mart
Accessories - $225
- Dragon mirrors - 000000352926, $8.99 each - Cost Plus World Market,
- Various candles - Cost Plus World Market
- Fountain - Homedics Body Basics, Envirascape waterfall, $19.99 - Linens N' Things
Plants and pots - $80
- Pot with face - Cost Plus World Market
Total - $997