Home safety requires knowing how to keep harmful materials away from children.
Cosmetics, old medications, cleaners, oils and solvents and car-maintenance materials can kill a child. The irony is that most of what would become a poison is something we don't even want, but we save because we can't throw it away.
Years ago I heard about a child who had two years of reconstructive surgeries because she drank a liquid drain opener. What would it mean to have a child nearly die because she drank a poorly stored portion of drain opener for the once-every-five-years clogged drain?
It just wasn't worth it. I began to dispose of every single household poison I owned. Today I still pitch unused portions. My few potential poisons, such as furniture polish and motor oil, fit into a shoebox.
Overboard! But is it? It takes only one glug to wipe out a child's health or life.
Would you actually put old medications in your body or a child's?
And cosmetics? My youngest has moved home with a truckload of cosmetics. You could start a shop. She asked me where I store mine. I showed her the tube of mascara she gave me two years ago shoved into the drawer next to the toothbrushes.
The big question stood like a giant between us: Can one of the grandkids safely go into her rooms and come out alive? Probably not. "Get a latch."
"Poisonings are the second-leading cause of home-injury-related death in America, and children under the age of 6 suffer the highest rate of poison exposures," said Home Safety Council president Meri-K Appy.
Every family should keep the national Poison Control Center hot-line number next to every phone: 800-222-1222.
Make this your plan:
Judy Lyden operates a preschool in Evansville, Ind.