A rich color palette, clean lines, antique-style accessories and a functional layout create this designer-like study.
Host Brooke Channon and the design team work together to re-create the look of a sophisticated study designed by Melissa Stone.
Stone used a rich color palette, clean lines, antique style accessories and a functional layout to create this designer look.
Transforming the Makeover Room:
The design team transformed a drab home office into a stately study with the following steps:
The design team custom made poly-bend striped draperies to match the custom sewn silk double weave panels from the design room. The design team selected an estate rug with complementary blue and gold accents to replace the mesh style wool rug from the inspiration room.
- The transformation began by adding a rich brown tone (Benjamin Moore: Fawn) to the walls to simulate the look of the faux suede designer wall treatment in the inspiration room.
- The team re-created the inspiration crackle finished end tables by adding gold detail to plain storage boxes. The design team also added gold detail to plain black lamps to give them the Old World feel of the inspiration lamps. White oval mirrors were painted black and hung over the side tables to add dimension to the space.
- An antique reproduction wooden desk perfectly replaced the 18th century hand carved desk from the inspiration room. The desk was dressed with a carved box, a silver tray, cat statues, candles, an alligator pencil holder, an alligator desk mat and a magnifying glass. A faux leather and wooden chair replaced the mahogany and leather chair from the inspiration room.
- A sensible bookshelf was outfitted with leather bound books, an ivy plant, lion book ends and horse book ends to replicate the look of the alder wood bookshelf from the inspiration room.
- The inspiration chocolate mohair sofa was duplicated using a chocolate brown passion suede sofa dressed with blue and gold handmade sofa pillows.
Remounted Italian Renaissance prints replaced the antique Italian engravings found in the inspiration room. The inspiration room’s 18th century Italian etchings in silver leaf frames were re-created using Irish landscape prints, a perfect pair of frames and mat boards.
paint (Fawn) (eggshell formula for one 319-1B quart: OY20, RX.563, BK1) - Benjamin Moore
oval mirrors - Target
black lampshades - Bed, Bath and Beyond
wooden desk - Bombay Company
gold and black lamp, silver tray with blue candles - Home Depot Expo
carved box, cat statues, scroll candle holders, horse book ends - Marshalls
pencil holder, desk mat - Office Depot
faux book box, desk chair, metal basket for ivy - Ross
magnifying glass - Office Max
ivy plants - Home Depot