Dreary HouseReal estate expert Shannon Freeman is brought in to tour and assess the house and its selling potential. She begins with the exterior, where she notes that the garage door is too dark, dates the house and is distracting. Inside, the first thing she sees is a dirty, dated landing and carpet. Buyers may think they have to make a lower bid because they will have to incur the cost of replacing the carpet, she says.
Designer Lisa LaPorta agrees with Freeman's assessment and introduces a plan to get the house in top selling shape in just days.
Step 1: Stock up on storage space. Buyers need space to move into--the more they see, the more they spend.
Step 2: Size it up. Use ample lighting and furniture placement to amplify the square footage and potential offers.
Step 3: Out with the old. Replace mismatched furniture and photo frames to create a more cohesive style.
So how'd they do it with just $2,000?
countertops and cabinets $726
French door and microwave $365
furniture and lighting $360
window treatments $85
decorative accessories $240
paint and supplies $215
The Coaster Company of America
- five-piece kitchen dining set, 7904
- three-piece end table set for living room, 5421
- lamp for living room, 1533
- microwave hood combo for kitchen, 665679000838
- French door for kitchen, 723647371516
- hinges for kitchen cabinets, 033923108232
- hardware for kitchen cabinets, 781266619518
- molding for kitchen, 095043214088
- kitchen and living room paint, Pratt & Lambert Chamois
- master bedroom paint, Behr Classic Taupe
- formica kitchen countertop, Desert Erosions
- kitchen cabinets and end pans, Primed
- semiflush lighting pendants for kitchen, Portfolio 13" 2 lite in Brushed Nickel finish, 170555
- curtain rod for living room, 180419
- light fixture for master bedroom, Portfolio semiflush Antique Midnight Gold finish, 170582
- decorative curtain rod for master bedroom, 212185
- three window treatments for kitchen, Rlik, 10046093
Linens 'n Things
- five-piece frame set for living room, 4282812375
- window valance for master bedroom, sewn from Bellagio Royal Legacy bed skirt, 060072190
- bedding for master bedroom, Toscana Bed in a Bag, 005859500
BeforeThe living room is awkwardly set up and a re-do is in order, says Freeman.
AfterThe new room boasts a fresh coat of paint, better lighting and new furniture and window treatments, all of which make the room appear larger.
BeforeBuyers need to see a more neutral presentation in order to imagine themselves in the house.
AfterThere are not as many personal photos on the wall anymore. The ones that remain have all been similarly framed and are at eye level.
BeforeThe kitchen is too bright, filled with clutter and outdated appliances.
AfterThe new French door, window treatments, light fixtures and round table set provide the finishing touches.
BeforeThe master bedroom has poor lighting and an oversize bed in the middle of the room.
AfterThe elegant new bedding and bed frame, window treatments and accessories add an expensive feel. Fresh paint and a new light fixture bring warmth to the room and make it look larger.