BeforeNina Sacks and her two roommates, Sarah Johnson and Jackie Bosworth, have two rooms full of a mish-mash of furnishings. The task for the design team of Lee Snijders, Summer Baltzer and Charles Burbridge is to blend country, Zen and minimalism into one cohesive look--can they do it?
AfterThe team decides to with a natural palette of green and brown with copper accents. The walls are painted a light sage-green for a more colorful backdrop to the cream sofas and carpet. The existing tables are enhanced with paint to complement the beautiful travertine tops.
BeforeThe dining room contains a tabletop missing its base--it's currently resting on the four dining chairs, rendering it completely useless. There's also a bar area that needs to be incorporated into the design. The dining table gets lifted with a new base and the entry even gets some attention.
For design details, and to find out how they managed on a budget of just $1,000, read on.
FurnitureFurniture - $419
- A new console makes the entryway more inviting and a side chair featuring the same curvature of the sofas is added to the living room. (console table: Target; chair: IKEA - Tullsta, 90038126)
Color Update & MorePaint and Supplies - $93
Accessories and Lighting - $315
- A runner in the entry gives the cream carpet more color.
- Three tropical-influenced art prints are framed with copper-colored metal frames. Burbridge has the prints mounted on foam core before framing to give them more stability.
- Lamp bases are given a copper look with spray paint. Balter sprays on one even coat of pewter paint to take down the silvery shine, they sprays on a copper color sparingly to give the finish an antiqued look. (lampshades: Target - 074080321, 074000819)
- A round mirror is set on the dining table with candles for a reflective centerpiece. (candles, round table mirror: Marshalls)
- The bar area is given design attention with framed wine labels and bartending accessories.
- Two new mirrors over the TV reflect the light coming in the large window opposite them. (mirrors: IKEA - Kolja, 18717)
Fabric - $168
- A copper-toned fabric is used to make sofa pillows and seat covers for the dining chairs. She also adds a band of the fabric to the bottom of chocolate-colored window panels to tie the entire look together.
Project Total - $995