Too Much SpaceMatt Klauschie and Jami Carter have a long and narrow living room with a fireplace angled in one wall, which makes furniture placement difficult. They want to spice up the space with rich, deep colors and make the fireplace more of a focal point.
Bare WindowThere is a large picture window at the end of the room that also requires some attention and the other windows adorned with plantation shutters could use dressing. Also, at night the room is very dark so additional lighting is definitely needed.
Vibrant HuesKristan Cunningham, Dave Sheinkopf and Spencer Anderson agree on a Moroccan theme and set to work creating the look with a bold color scheme.
Rearranging the FurnitureA new furniture arrangement helps to define the room and emphasize the fireplace. An eye-catching piece is positioned in front of the arched window.
Art and Accessories - $293
- A colorful rug with a geometric pattern is placed in front of the sofa. (floor rug: Mosaik)
Stenciling the Fireplace
Fabric and Window Treatments - $271
- One of the sofas is dressed up with a brown slipcover and three pillows. (pillow: Pier 1 - Tile Ginger, 1983015; place mats used to make pillows: The Great Indoors - Clairvoile, 17404502)
- The bright white shutters are toned down with ruby-colored curtains.
Furniture - $202
Dressing up the Window
- Since one sofa is removed from the room, Cunningham brings in two sets of chairs for a thrifty seating solution. The cushions on one set are replaced with new fabric and batting, which is stapled to the back; the other chair set receives a coat of primer and vivid blue spray paint, along with new seats covered in a coordinating fabric. (chairs: thrift store)
- An ottoman is used for a table. (ottoman: Target - 002070139)
- The back window is dressed up with an estate-sale find featuring an intricate colorful design. It's set on the floor in front of the window to provide some privacy. The top of the window is left open to allow the natural light to flood the room.
Lighting - $193
- The sconces on either side of the fireplace are replaced with others that have a more exotic flair. (wall sconces: Mosaik)
Paint - $41
- The white walls are painted a light aqua color. The fireplace niche is painted deep purple and highlighted with an orange-painted stencil. (wall paint: Behr - Aspen Aura 470F-4P; fireplace: Blackberry Farm 600D-7D; Carmelized Orange 250D-7D)
Project Total - $1,000