Add a homemade touch to your wardrobe by knitting a shawl.
Project by Debi Yukelson of Los Angeles, Calif.
Debi wishes she could keep sheep in her yard. She loves spinning wool to create her own yarn. In this project, she makes the fantastic yarn and then knits it into a fantastic shawl.
Materials and Tools:
size 17 needles
hand-painted merino wool roving
hand-painted mohair roving
synthetic sparkle fiber
hand-dyed silk ribbons
1. Draft the fibers, separating the rovings (thick ropes of ready to spin wool) into thinner strips for spinning.
2. Spin the fiber on a spinning wheel.
3. Skein the yarn by wrapping it either around a niddy noddy, a chair or your arm and elbow, to make a big loop (like rolling up a garden hose).
4. Wash the skein and whack it against a hard surface several times to set the twist.
5. Hang it to dry. When dry, knit using a garter stitch.