BeforeHomeowners Sara and Matt Young's living room is everything they're not — it's bland, boring and beige.
The DilemmaThe Dilemma
Host and interior designer Kristan Cunningham arrives at the Young residence to check out the living room, which they want to be welcoming and cozy. Currently, the walls are white and both the carpet and furniture are beige. They need storage for both the entertainment system and their extensive CD library.
After: The SolutionThe Solution
Here's how the room goes from bland to beautiful.
Cork Coffee TableMedium-density fiberboard (mdf) is used for the top and 4x4 posts are used for the legs. Cork tiles are glued to the mdf, then the entire top is trimmed with redwood. The legs are covered up with decorative cork veneer attached with spray adhesive. A dark brown stain on the legs and trim gives the piece a cohesive look.
CD Storage And LightingHe hangs the units using a French cleat system and styles the area with mirrors and candles.
Cunningham creates three paper lanterns for about $25 by using unusual framing materials and decorative paper. She forms a frame from two cross-stitch hoops and three wood dowels, which are hot-glued to the hoops to create the cylindrical shape. A lighting kit (purchased from a hardware store) is secured to the top hoop with medium-gauge wire. Next, a layer of glue is applied to the outside edges of both hoops and the decorative paper is rolled on to create the shade. More lampshade ideas>>
Furniture - $660
- cork tiles used for coffee table: Linoleum City
- TV cabinet: IKEA - Markir, 90045532
- chairs: IKEA - Tullsta
Accessories - $159
- area rug: Target - 066040645
- throw for sofa: Target - 067100037
- embroidered sofa pillow: Pier 1 - 1928777
Window treatments - $125
- window panels: Target - 068030532/Red
- window shades: Pier 1 - Kenya, 1929299
Paint and supplies - $32
- wall paint: Benjamin Moore color Golden Retriever 2165-30 mixed in Behr paint
Lighting - $23
- decorative paper used for hanging lanterns: Dick Blick Art Materials Company - 601947 Olive
- cord sets used for hanging lanterns: IKEA - Hemma, 10175810
Project Total - $999