Racquel Lehrman and Michael Weingourt want their sparse master bedroom turned into a cottage-style romantic retreat and have turned to the Design on a Dime team for help.
Host Lee Snijders visits with Lehrman and Weingourt in their master bedroom to sum up the various issues that need to be addressed. The couple would like their apartment's country cottage look to flow into the bedroom as well. Lehrman loves bright bold colors and Weingourt is attracted to greens and blues, but both agree that the white walls have to go. To please them both, Snijders suggests transforming the bed into a lush romantic place to relax that will have both masculine and feminine elements. Since Weingourt likes to read in bed, Snijders would like to incorporate better light sources in the room. The last on the list is to change the ceiling light fixture and the window coverings to something more suitable for a luxurious retreat.
Color, fabric and accessories take this master bedroom from mismatched to magnificent. Here are the design details:
- The white walls are warmed up with golden yellow paint.
- Design coordinator Summer Baltzer applies a two-part faux rust treatment to a garage-sale black iron headboard. To create the faux aged look, she sprays on rust-colored paint then sponges on black paint and wipes it off with a shopping bag for a mottled effect.
- Design coordinator Charles Burbridge constructs a partial box-pleat canopy for the bed. He constructs a wood frame, covers it with batting and red fabric, then staples the box-pleat canopy and fabric panels to the perimeter of the wood frame. Chain is used to hang it from the ceiling.
- New furniture and accessories include table lamps, an elegant chandelier, candle sconces, bedside tables, a rocking chair and an armoire for the TV and electronics.
- Baltzer discovers the perfect colorful, cottage-style bedding in a linen superstore. The quilt pattern is evocative of cottage charm, while the rich colors give the bedding a more contemporary look.
- Snijders unifies the existing furniture with a decorative paint finish. He first applies a peanut shell color, then adds depth with three additional colors, walnut, burnt sienna and sage green, which he applies with a dry brush.
Bedding and window treatments - $452
- bedding: Linens 'n Things - quilt and pillow, Antique Rose, 0017316020; pillow, Monaco, 762377139232;
Lighting and accessories - $300
- lamp bases: Target - 07000288
- lampshades: Target - 074080710
- candle sconces: Bed, Bath and Beyond - Sconce Leaf, 76907295006
- mirror: Target - 074110625
Furniture - $128
Paint and supplies - $115
- paint for furniture: Lowe's - American Tradition, 94837
- rust kit: The Home Depot - 025066798406
- wall paint: ICI Dulux - Haymarket
Project Total - $999