Jenna Lecce wants a more glamorous style in her one-room apartment. She's hoping the design team can give her home a new look and more functional floor plan.
Host Lee Snijders visits Jenna Lecce's studio apartment to get a feel for what issues need to be addressed. Lecce loves the old Hollywood charm of her building and thinks it would be wonderful if the apartment furnishings were more in line with the style of her building. Since the apartment is a one-room studio, Snijders points out that the arrangement of the floor plan cuts off the entrance to the room and the couch eats up precious space in the corner. He would like to add some artwork and paint to the otherwise colorless walls. The windows and closet will need some new treatments and a worn-out sofa will require some attention to create a luxurious new look.
The studio apartment is given a glamorous makeover without going over the $1,000 budget--here's how the design team gets it done:
- The walls are painted a soft pink color to start the elegant new look.
- Snijders creates a custom headboard out of birch plywood that becomes a striking focal point in the room. Halogen lights set into the top add just the right amount of task lighting. More headboard ideas>>
- Design coordinator Charles Burbridge transforms the existing sofa by sewing a new cover for it. He creates a pattern out of muslin so that he doesn't sacrifice any of the upholstery fabric to mistakes.
- Design coordinator Summer Baltzer fabricates new bedding by combining a set of sheets and window sheers into a multilayered duvet cover with all the elegance of a 1950s evening gown. She uses the same materials to create matching window treatments and a curtain for the closet.
- The walls are decorated with black and white photographs taken by Burbridge featuring Hollywood landmarks near Lecce's apartment.
- A new rug in front of the sofa features a modern graphic pattern.
- Two new torchiere lamps on either side of the sofa feature contemporary lines with chrome accents.
Accessories and Fabric - $310
- bed skirt: Anna's Linens - Crown Elite, 816724black
- curtain fabric: Jo-Ann Fabrics - Silver Baroque Satin 2744498
- curtains: IKEA - Vinde Slinga, 10439
- rug: IKEA - Vinde Wilton, 18778
- couch fabric: Michael Levine
Furniture - $215
Lamps - $199
- lights for headboard: IKEA - Non N spotlight, 40027408
Pillows - $116
- toss pillows: Bed, Bath and Beyond - Mod Whmsy, 531224907553
- pillow shams: Bed, Bath and Beyond - Mod Whmsy, 53122490742
- throw pillows: The Great Indoors - 96 99380821
Frames - $83
- frames: Cost Plus World Market - 000000348360 black
Paint and Supplies - $72
- paint: Behr - Royal Silk, 140E-2
Project Total - $995