Host Joan Kohn discusses the elements of cottage design with experts Lyman Perry and Robin Pellisier.
The simple, romantic look of cottage design is cozy and comfortable and has found its way into year-round homes. Host Joan Kohn breaks down the elements of this popular style with experts Lyman Perry and Robin Pellisier.
- Balconies with wonderful views enhance the sense of romance in a cottage bedroom.
- Exposed wood and beam work is typical of early cottage design. To update the look and create a lighter feeling, try painting the exposed wood.
- Another aspect of cottage design is a simple, serene atmosphere. This translates into a clean, crisp monochromatic look that is soothing at the end of a long day. Exposed wood is painted white, and fabrics are minimal.
- Popular window treatments include plantation shutters and nautical accents.
- Wicker and painted wood are frequently used for cozy seating areas, and pine is the material of choice for flooring and furniture.
- Blue, reminiscent of the water, is paired with white in many cottage looks.
- In the bath, steer clear of contemporary vanities and accents, choosing instead furniture pieces for storage, claw-footed tubs and pedestal sinks.
- The soft warm color of a wood floor evokes the cottage look; if tile is used, choose more informal tumbled marble rather than hard-edged shiny tile.