Host Joan Kohn joins Sharon Danich for a tour of her master suite, which includes a dramatic bedroom space, personal workout area and monochromatic bath.
Designer Melia Strittmatter helped blend the traditional elements of the home with contemporary design.
- The master suite mixes traditional elements like dormers and simple moldings with contemporary furnishings and an unusual color palette.
- The bedroom uses color and texture to create a tranquil yet earthy and funky space. Bright white walls and a beige Berber carpet provide a neutral background for the wasabi green silk bed coverlet and chocolate brown and cream accent pieces. Feathered pillows, three-dimensional art and rich wood furniture with mother-of-pearl inlays create texture and interest.
- To blend the traditional elements with the contemporary, Strittmatter suggests emphasizing the simple lines of traditional design because they work so well with the clean lines of contemporary furnishings.
- A monochromatic color scheme adds a sense of tranquility to the contemporary bath.
- The bathroom pairs creamy textured limestone with pristine white accents for a serene monochromatic color scheme. Limestone is used for flooring, the tub deck and surround, as well as for the shower walls. It is even used for inset panels for the vanity cabinetry.
- Skylights and a dormer window add natural light but maintain privacy.