Try these eco-friendly home improvement tips and enjoy a green bathroom.
Some simple adjustments to a bathroom can reduce its impact on the environment.
Extra Green Bathroom Tips:
- Installing aerators on the faucet and showerhead will reduce the amount of water used.
- Using a low-flow toilet will use less water.
- Replacing a tanked water heater with a tankless model will reduce the amount of energy consumed and the cost to heat water. A tankless water heater will heat only what is needed, when it’s needed. Plus, it doesn’t require a pilot light, so it emits less carbon dioxide and improves indoor air quality.
- Compact fluorescent bulbs use less energy than incandescent bulbs and last much longer.
- When redecorating, look for paint with a low volatile organic compounds (VOC) label. These paints are less toxic.
- Even little things like selecting all-natural fabrics can help make your bathroom more green.
Faucets and showerheads with aerators use half the water flow with twice the power. If they were used nationwide, aerators could save 250 million gallons of water a year.
Traditional hot-water circulating systems use a pump to send hot water from the water heater, to the faucets and back again. This type of system provides nearly instant hot water, but it wastes a tremendous amount of energy heating the water and moving it around.