Turn Vinyl Records Into a Unique Purse
Recycle two 45-rpm records into an inventive, kitschy purse.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Crafter Kristin Hansen demonstrates how to create a vibrant, wild purse from records and pink leopard print fabric.
- two 45-rpm records
- label covers (printed on computer)
- 6" x 60" fabric (for body and handles)
- 13-1/2" x 44" fabric (for lining)
- 6" round elastic cord
- four 1" metal rings
- flat button
- large rhinestone
- fast-drying glue
- glue gun
- hot glue
- two 1" rhinestone buckles
- 6" metal beading wire
- two 2" squares of black fabric
- two 72" pieces of 1/8" ribbon
- crewel sewing needle
- 1/8" and 3/16" Hanson drill bits
- drill press
- drilling template
- sewing machine
- straight pins
- leather punch
- 2 pair of wide-mouth pliers
- image design software
- inkjet paper
Prep the Records
1. Select two 45-rpm records. Using design software on the computer, create a 3-1/2 inch diameter circle with a 1-1/4 inch black circle in the center. Create the label design and print out two copies onto white paper. Glue a label on each record.
2. Place one 45-rpm record in the drilling template. Drill holes with 1/8-inch drill bit around the perimeter and at the top for the closure. Repeat with the other record.
3. Using a 3/16-inch drill bit, enlarge two holes along the top of each record for attaching handles.
4. Glue a 2-inch black fabric square to the back of each 45-rpm record with hot glue to cover the hole (Image 1).
5. Glue the flat part of the button to the back of the large rhinestone using fast-drying glue (Image 2).
5. Glue the flat part of the button to the back of the large rhinestone using fast-drying glue.
6. Fold a 6-inch piece of beading wire in half and thread it through the button.
7. Thread the wire ends through the large hole you drilled in the record. Twist the wire to secure.
8. Thread elastic through the other record’s large hole and tie a knot.
Put a cherished rug on display as handmade art with some basic lumber and these DIY tapestry instructions.
Add warm, menswear-inspired appeal to your bed pillows this winter with quick and easy slipcovers made from old sweaters and...
Turning a dresser into a media console that looks just as sleek at the flat screen above it is easy. Just follow these...