'Something's Fishy' Jewelry Pendant
Make an exotic fish metal jewelry piece that can be worn as a necklace or a pin.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
11. Lick the fish and leave it wet. Place the granules (silver chips) on the fish with a small brush or tweezers, taking care not to place them too close to the eye (Image 1). Carefully remove the eye and leave to dry.
12. Fuse the granules (silver chips) onto the sheet using the torch (Image 2). Quench and pickle.
13. Place a small piece of medium solder on the back of the eye on the fish and heat the fish until the solder underneath the bezel has flowed (Image 1).
14. Solder on the bail and pin back.
15. Saw out the final shape, including any space between the body and fins. File the edges with a needle file and clean up the file marks with silicone wheels (Image 2).
16. Depletion-gild the fish by heating until just golden (below annealing temperature) and quenching in the pickle. Repeat this process 2-5 times until it turns mat white when heated. Clean well with soap and water and try not to touch the sheet inside the frame.
17. Melt 24K casting grain into one ball and roll through the rolling mill repeatedly until the rollers are almost together. Continue rolling four more times without changing the position of the rollers. Note: Kum-boo leaf is now available at metal retailer – gilder’s leaf from the craft store is too thin for this technique.
18. Cut strips of the 24K kum-boo leaf for the fins and tail accents.
19. Place the fish on the hot plate and arrange the kum-boo leaf to create stripes and fins. Wait until it is mat white. If it starts to oxidize, lower the temperature. Wearing the cotton gloves to protect your hands from the heat, hold the gold in place with the cross tweezers and burnish it with the steel burnisher. Note: If the metal is hot enough, the gold will adhere to the silver permanently by the process of eutectic bonding. Check the edges of the gold with the tweezers. Pickle when finished.
Make a delicate decoration for your hair with pearls, crystal beads and silver jewelry wire.