Perfect Cut-Out Sugar Cookies Recipe
Bake the perfect batch of sugar cookies to decorate for your loved ones this Valentine's Day.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
2 cups flour
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract, optional
pinch of salt
dash of nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda, optional (cookies may not hold shape as well)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder, optional (cookies may not hold shape as well)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a stand mixer, cream butter, shortening, white sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in eggs, vanilla, almond extract, salt and nutmeg.
4. Slowly add flour to creamed mixture.
5. When dough just starts to come together, turn it out onto a floured surface.
6. With a floured rolling pin, roll to about 1/2-inch thick.
7. Cut out cookies with cookie cutters and arrange an inch apart on a baking sheet. (You can re-roll the dough one more time.)
8. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies turn a light golden color.
9. Remove to cooling rack.
10. Cool completely before decorating.
The experts at HGTV.com share photos of our hottest hosts, from Carter Oosterhouse, Jamie Durie and David Bromstad to the...(25 photos)
Decorate for Valentine's Day with easy-to-create paper crafts. Get step-by-step instructions on HGTV.com.(5 photos)