Paper Mache Meditation Sphere
Make a decorative meditation sphere using paper mache and a beach ball.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Crafter Joanna Bevis demonstrates how to paper mache a beach ball, then draw and paint a meditation sphere using a labyrinth as a guide. To meditate using this sphere: Follow the path of the labyrinth to the center, contemplate through the inward journey. At the center, focus on the issue, seek or find an answer. Follow the path outward to the starting point and carry the answer with you to integrate in your daily life.
Materials and Tools:
shallow mixing container
acrylic molding paste
computer and printer
*Search online for labyrinth templates.
1. Place a beach ball in a bowl to hold it while working on the meditation sphere.
2. Mix together 1/4 cup white glue, 1/2 cup flour and 3/4 cup water in a shallow pan to make the glue for the paper mache.
3. Cut or tear strips of newsprint. Working with one strip at a time, dip a strip in the flour mixture, remove the excess by running the strip through your fingers and paste it on the beach ball. Cover the beach ball completely with the strips. Let it dry between coats. Cover the ball with a total of three to four coats of paper mache. Let dry overnight.
4. Spread acrylic molding paste over the paper mache using a putty knife to create texture. Let it dry one to two hours.
5. Create a labyrinth template or design on a computer and print it out. Use the template as a guide for drawing the design onto the surface of the sphere.
6. Find the center of the ball with a measuring tape and mark it. Following the labyrinth guide, draw circular lines around the ball with a compass.
7. Paint the sphere with acrylic paints mixed with polymer medium. Follow the template as a guide for placement of colors.
8. Apply a final coat of gloss varnish with a brush to protect the finished sphere.
9. Place the finished sphere on top of a candleholder.
Cover the back of a bowl with newspaper strips and spackle, and use paint and leaves to create a decorative piece.