Paint an Acrylic Accent Mirror
Frame a small mirror with a creatively painted Aspen tree scene.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Painter Amy Stoner of Portland, Ore., demonstrates how to paint an acrylic nature scene she calls "Evening Aspen" to frame a small mirror.
- 11-1/4" x 11-1/4" square of softwood board
- approximately 5-1/2" x 5-1/2" lightweight mirror
- strong adhesive glue
- small adhesive felt dots
- small saw tooth picture hanger
- acrylic paints in assorted colors
- gel medium (optional)
- paintbrushes, assorted sizes
- palette for paint
- pencil with eraser
- water-based varnish/sealer
- wood-burning tool with assorted tips
- spiral saw tool
- power drill with drill bit
- straight edge ruler
- wood c-clamps
- safety glasses
- ear protection
- sandpaper or sanding blocks
- glass cleaner
- soft cloth
1. Measure and mark a 4-3/4" x 4-3/4" opening for the mirror in the softwood board. Wearing safety glasses, drill a pilot hole in one corner of the marked area for the mirror opening.
2. Clamp down a straight edge to the top of the mirror frame to help align the spiral saw tool while cutting, ensuring a straight line.
3. Cut out all four sides of the 4-3/4" x 4-3/4" square with a spiral saw. Sand all the interior and exterior edges.
4. Draw the wood burn design onto the frame with a pencil.
5. Heat the wood-burning tool and wood burn the design into the wood frame with a chisel tip and fine point tip.
6. Let it cool and prepare for painting.
7. Paint the frame with acrylic paints: Squeeze out a dime-sized amount of various acrylic paint colors onto a palette. Mix some of the colors with gel medium for a translucent look. Blend two shades of paint in an area, or wait until one color has dried and then add a very light, sheer glaze of an additional color. Let dry.
Transform an ordinary mirror into a renaissance art piece using decoupage and reproduction artwork.
Try this original technique to create a decorative screen that softens the glow of your candles.
Hang this multidimensional mirror anywhere in your home for instant fall style with wooden branches and fabric-painted leaves.