Make a Sterling Silver Riveted Necklace
Channel your inner metal worker to create this conversation-starting jewelry piece.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
14. Using fine needle-nose pliers, grab at the back and inside of the loop and bend it back to create a sharp angle. Repeat on all 18 links.
15. Wrap four wires with 22-gauge wire tightly. These will act as the dangles.
16. Wrap a long piece of 20-gauge wire around a wooden dowel multiple times to create jump rings. You will need 20 rings.
17. Cut each ring while still wound around the dowel with a jeweler's saw. You can cut into the dowel. Use two pairs of needle-nose pliers to line up the seams. Place the rings into the pickle for a few minutes to clean them. Remove from the pickle, rinse and dry.
18. Place the rings on a soldering block and flux the seams. Cut solder into tiny pieces, dip each piece in flux and place one piece on each seam.
19. Using the torch, heat each ring evenly until solder flows. Let cool. Pickle, rinse and dry.
20. Using the links you have already created, minus four, open the ends of the links and connect them with a ring in between each to create two seven-link chains.
21. Cut four 3-inch pieces of 18-gauge wire to create spirals. Make a small half loop with the very tip of round-nose pliers.
22. Using needle-nose pliers place the half loop flat in the back of the pliers and roll. Continue to roll in small increments to create a tight spiral.
23. Stop spiraling about 3/4 inches from the end of the wire and bend a 90-degree angle in the wire.
24. Hammer the spiral flat on a steel bench block with a ball peen hammer. Hammer both sides to desired flatness. Turn a loop in the remaining wire and connect to a ring. Repeat for the remaining three spirals.
25. Attach each to a wrapped bar. Attach each wrapped bar to the bottom bar of the necklace.
Make a three-ring metal necklace topped with a turquoise hanging pendant.
Employ metalsmithing and jewelry making techniques to make this beautiful silver and turquoise necklace.
Make a bold — and one-of-a-kind — statement with this sterling silver chain link necklace project.