Make a Sterling Silver Riveted Necklace
Channel your inner metal worker to create this conversation-starting jewelry piece.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Jewelry designer and metalsmith Lisa Crowder of Austin, Texas, shows how to create a riveted necklace using sterling silver wire.1. Cut two 4-inch pieces of 12-gauge silver wire. Anneal the wire with the oxyacetylene torch. Place the wires into the pickle. Rinse and dry.
- 12-, 16-, 18-, 20- and 22-gauge sterling silver wire (925)
- 26-gauge sterling silver sheet (925)
- silver solder
- wood dowel
- jeweler's saw
- round-nose pliers
- flat-nose pliers
- flush-cut pliers
- flex shaft
- oxyacetylene torch
- pickle and hot-pickle pot
- liver of sulphur patina solution
- buffing wheels
- drill bits
- plastic mallet
- ball peen hammer
- steel bench block
- wood bench pin
- 320- and 400-grit wet/dry sandpaper
- 2/0 saw blades
- black fine-point permanent marker
- disc cutter
- center punch
- chasing hammer
- circle template
- needle files
- rivet hammer
- wire shear
- soldering block
- steel soldering pick
- soldering tweezers
- 4/0 steel wool
- boiling water
1. Cut two 4-inch pieces of 12-gauge silver wire. Anneal the wire with the oxyacetylene torch. Place the wires into the pickle. Rinse and dry.
2. Flatten the wire by hammering it on a steel bench block with the flat side of a large ball peen hammer.
3. Once sufficiently flattened, trim the ends with flush cutters to make both bars the same length.
4. Measure where the riveted 3/8-inch discs will be placed on the bars and mark with a permanent marker.
5. Center punch the bar at the marks and drill holes using the flex shaft and appropriate drill bit.
6. For the bottom bar, mark where the four dangles will be placed. Center punch and drill.
Make a three-ring metal necklace topped with a turquoise hanging pendant.
Employ metalsmithing and jewelry making techniques to make this beautiful silver and turquoise necklace.
Make an elegant, daisy flower necklace pendant using sterling silver and semiprecious gems.