Make a Monogrammed Pendant
Create a one-of-a-kind monogrammed pendant for a special woman in your life.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and tools:
rub-on transferable letter or a letter printed from your computer
patterned paper (scrapbook or wrapping paper)
2 small pieces of glass, a little larger than initial
1/4" copper foil
bone folder or Popsicle stick
stained glass finishing compound
1. Rub transferable letter onto patterned paper or use your computer to print a single letter in a decorative font onto patterned paper.
2. Cut two pieces of glass a little larger than printed letter and clean them with window cleaner. Our completed pendant measures 1-1/2" x 1-3/4". The completed size of your pendant will vary depending on the size of the initial and how much of the patterned paper you choose to reveal. To save time, turn on soldering iron now to allow it to heat up.
3. Sandwich paper between two pieces of glass, and then wrap the glass edges with copper foil tape. Use a bone folder or Popsicle stick to press excess tape neatly over the edges, completing one side before moving to the next to ensure smooth corners.
4. Using a small brush, apply flux to copper tape. Hold the soldering iron in one hand and the solder in the other. Apply liquid solder to copper foil tape, making sure to leave a smooth line. If this is your first time using solder, don't become discouraged if the first try isn't a success. Be patient, practice makes perfect when it comes to soldering.
5. Allow pendant to cool then attach a jump ring to pendant's top with a small drop of solder. Once solder has set, add a split ring to jump ring and clean the finished pendant with stained glass finishing compound to give the pendant a bright shine. To complete your handmade gift, add a ribbon or chain to the pendant before giving.
Designer Casey Noble dresses up a holiday table with a homemade monogrammed table runner made with simple sewing supplies and...
Instead of the customary bottle of wine, give your favorite party host or hostess a monogrammed serving tray that can be used...
Make a beautiful necklace pendant from sterling silver by cutting out your own design with a jeweler's saw.