Kids' Adventure-Ready Backpack
Instill a love of nature and the great outdoors in kids with this easy-to-create fabric backpack filled with fun tools for little explorers.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
- canvas or duck cloth cut to 12" x 35"
- for 2 straps: 23" x 3" pieces of same material
- canvas for front pockets
- sewing machine
- sewing pins
- empty, clean pint or jelly jars with two-piece lids
- sticker paper
- window screen
- small wooden picture frame
- staple gun
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- tin snips
- (2) 6"x 6" luan squares
- paint pens or craft paint and paintbrush
- cardboard and newsprint
- bungee cord or large rubber band
Create Backpack Body
On 12" x 35" piece of canvas, measure 14-1/2 inches up from the bottom of longer end and fold fabric up to this point.
Press and Sew Straps
Press in strap edges 1/4-inch, then fold in half. Stitch up both side of strap.
Attach Top of Straps
Insert straps 2-1/2-inches above fold on inside of bag and pin in place, then stitch up both sides of backpack.
The holiday experts at HGTV.com show how to give your fireplace mantel a high-fashion makeover with leather Christmas stockings.