How to Sew a Softhead Stuffed Animal
Make a simple, fleece softie toy that's all head and no body.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
eyes and nose with rod and grommet backing
approximately 1/4-yard polar fleece (head color)
2 pieces of approximately 4" x 8" polar fleece (ears front and back)
1. Lay the 4" x 8" polar fleece pieces with right sides together.
2. Sew two tombstone shapes side-by-side using a sewing machine.
3. Trim around the sewing line and turn right side out for the ears.
4. Fold the head fabric in half and cut a rough oval shape from both layers.
5. Sew eyebrow and mouth line on one piece.
6. Trim threads.
7. Snip a small slit where one eye should go and push the eye rod through.
8. Press the grommet on to secure the eye.
9. Repeat with the second eye and the nose.
10. With eyes facing up, lay the softhead on table.
11. Place the ears on top with raw edges facing out.
12. Place softhead back on the top, right sides together, sandwiching the ears in between.
13. Pin the three layers together at the ears.
14. Sew around the perimeter starting at the bottom. Leave 2-3 inches unsewn at the bottom.
15. Turn right side out through the opening.
16. Fill with stuffing.
17. Hand sew the opening closed at the base.
Diane Toepfer, Portland, Maine
Make three soft toys cute enough to eat: a tomato, broccoli and ham.