How to Sew a Faux Chenille Scarf
Create a budget-friendly chenille scarf look-a-like from dupioni silk and black wool felt.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
1/2 yard tan dupioni silk
1/4 yard National Nonwovens black wool felt
5" paper circle pattern
Clover Slash Cutter (optional)
1. Cut one 45" x 12" piece and two 6" x 12" pieces of tan dupioni silk.
2. Use tan thread to sew the shorter pieces to each end of the longer piece with a 1/4" French seam.
3. Cut four 36" x 1/2" strips of black wool felt to go around the entire scarf.
4. Sew a strip to all four edges of the scarf, matching the edge of the strip to the edge of the scarf using a 1/4" seam allowance. When you run out of a strip, begin a new one about 1/4" over the end of the old strip.
5. Turn the felt to the other side, encasing the seam allowance in the dupioni and stitch in the ditch to hold in place. A quarter inch of black felt will peak out from this new bound edge.
6. Cut four 5" circles from black wool felt using the paper pattern. At both ends of the scarf, pin a circle on the center of the seam.
7. Edge stitch around the circles with black thread.
8. Flip the scarf over and pin the other two circles on top of the stitches made from the edge stitching.
9. Edge stitch the circles, catching the previous circles underneath.
10. Sew a circle that is 3/8" inside the edge stitching. Sew another circle that is 3/8" inside that circle. Continue to sew circles inside each other until you run out of space.
11. Cut between the sewn channels of all four circles with the little scissors or a slash cutter, being careful not to cut the silk sandwiched between.
12. Wash and dry in a dryer. Press with an iron and wear.
Make a quick and easy halter top in just a few simple steps — starting with a scarf.
Add pattern to your knitted scarf with gel bleach – a simple process which requires about five minutes to do.
Designer Casey Noble dresses up a holiday table with a homemade monogrammed table runner made with simple sewing supplies and...