How to Paint and Fuse a Glass Plaque
Use this technique plus your own drawing to create a decorative, hanging fused glass plaque.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
piece of white glass
piece of clear glass
glass grinding machine
high fire enamel glass paint
high fire wire
1. Sketch the image and wording for your plaque.
2. Measure and cut two pieces of glass: one white and one clear.
3. Grind the edges.
4. Clean the glass thoroughly removing all fingerprints and marks.
5. Place the clear glass piece over the sketch. Attach a thin line paint nib to the bottle of high fire glass enamel. Squeeze the paint enamel onto the glass to outline the design.
6. Fill the inside with desired colors. Let dry.
7. Write a desired saying on the white glass, such as "Singin' those blue fin blues," with black enamel in a squeeze bottle with a fine line paint nib attached. Let dry.
8. Cut two 3/4-inch pieces of high fire wire and twist them into loops.
9. Stack the clear glass on top of the white glass piece.
10. Glue the two loops to the top in between the two pieces of glass for hangers.
11. Place the stacked glass pieces on kiln paper on a kiln shelf in the kiln.
12. Fire slowly in the kiln.
13. Remove the fused glass plaque after it has cooled completely.
14. Tie a ribbon through the wire loops at the top and hang your new plaque.
A family portrait is turned into a unique stained-glass-style window.