How to Make a Stainless Steel Surfer Light Fixture
Create a surfer-style light fixture from stainless steel and glass with these steps.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
20-gauge stainless steel
stainless steel tube
blue stain glass
computer and scanner
laser cutting machine
software for laser cutter
welding-safety equipment, including gloves and face mask
sheet-metal straight hand brake machine
hand tube bender
light buffing pad
1. Scan a photo into the computer and create a black-and-white negative using photo imaging software.
2. Convert the image to the appropriate file type using laser cutting software and send the file to the laser cutting machine.
4. Laser-cut the main body.
6. Laser-cut the back plate.
8. Bend the lamp sides at 90-degree angles to form the main body of the light fixture using a hand brake machine.
9. Bend the four edges of the back plate and form the top with a pitched roof.
10. Bend a length of stainless steel tube at a 90-degree angle for the lamp cord.
11. Cut the tube with a tube cutter.
12. Wearing protective gear, weld the main body, the top and the base together with a MIG welder. Weld the stainless steel tube to the inside of the back plate. Hold the parts together with clamps while welding.
13. Clean the welds.
15. Screw the socket into place.
17. Apply double-stick tape to the edges of each glass piece. Press the stained glass onto the inside of the three side panels of the light fixture.
18. Buff the stainless steel with a light buffing pad.
Turn wire and an old light bulb into a whimsical sculpture with these steps.