How to Make a Shining Star Quilt
Make a Shining Star quilt with these simple steps.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
5 fat quarters of different colors for the center
¾-yard of background fabric
¼-yard of fabric for the first border
½-yard of outside-border fabric
½-yard of binding
2 yards of backing fabric
Shining Star quilt pattern
1. Generate a sample page of fabric scraps as a fabric guide. Assign each fabric a number or letter. Three of the five fat-quarter fabrics converge with the background fabric, and these fabrics should contrast with the background fabric and be labeled 1-3, with No. 1 being the outside point of the star. No. 5 is the inside point of star. Label the background fabric as "B."
2. Fabric #1: Cut two strips 3-3/8 inches from fabric No. 1 and then sub-cut to make eight 3-3/8-inch squares.
3. Cut three strips 3-3/8 inches from fabric No. 2, and then sub-cut to make sixteen 3-3/8-inch squares.
4. Cut four strips 3-3/8 inches from fabric No. 3, and then sub-cut to make 24 3-3/8-inch squares.
5. Cut three strips 3-3/8 inches from fabric No. 4, and then sub-cut to make 16 3-3/8-inch squares.
6. Cut two strips 3-3/8 inches from fabric No. 5, and then sub-cut to make eight 3-3/8-inch squares.
7. Cut the background fabric strips selvage to selvage the full width of the fabric. Cut one 3-3/8-inch strip, and then sub-cut to make twelve 3-3/8-inch squares. Cut two 3-inch strips, and then sub-cut to make four 3-by-5½-inch rectangles and four 3-by-10½-inch rectangles. Cut one 8-inch strip, and then sub-cut to make four 8-inch squares.
8. Gather all the 3-3/8-inch squares of background (B) and fabrics 1-5 and assemble separate stacks of each numbered fabric. Then arrange combinations of these fabrics as follows:
- Two each of the following: 3 + 3, 4 + 4, 5 + 5
- Four each of the following: 1 + B, 1 + 2, 2 + B, 3 + B, 4 + 5
- Eight each of the following: 2 + 3, 3 + 4
9. With each of the above combinations, draw a diagonal line corner to corner on the lighter of the two fabrics. Place squares right sides together and sew ¼-inch away on each side of the line. Cut on the drawn line and press to the dark. These are the half-square triangle units. Make separate stacks of each combination.
10. Lay out the half-square triangle units and background fabric units and sew the sections together according to the Shining Star layout diagram.
11. Sew sections together to form the center of the quilt.
12. Cut four 2-inch strips. Measure the center of the quilt and cut two border pieces that size. Sew to the opposite sides of the quilt. Press the seams toward the border. Measure the center of the quilt from border edge to border edge. Cut the remaining border strips that size, and sew to the opposite sides of quilt. Press the seams toward the border.
13. Cut four 3½-inch strips of the outside-border fabric. Measure as described in the first border step, and sew to the quilt to form the outside border.
Weld steel pieces together and apply a creative finish to create a metal star for your garden.