How to Make a Recycled Metal Fish Sculpture
Turn an old car hood into a fish sculpture with simple welding techniques.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
wire feed welder
old car hood
metal cleaner and soft cloth
wire bracket for hanging
spray clear coat
welding safety equipment: welder's mask, safety glasses, respirator and leather gloves
1. Clean an old car hood with metal cleaner and a soft cloth.
2. Draw a freehand design of a fish on the metal hood using a permanent marker. Draw the front fin separately.
3. Wearing welding safety equipment, cut out the fish and the front fin with a plasma cutter.
4. Grind the edges of the fish and the fins with a grinder to remove the paint.
5. Cut slits in the top and bottom fins of the metal fish.
6. Cut all the facial features of the metal fish with the plasma cutter.
7. Weld the fin on the front of the metal fish and the wire hanger bracket onto the back side.
8. Melt a marble with a torch and weld it in for the eye.
9. After the metal fish sculpture cools burnish it with a torch for detail.
10. Sign the metal fish sculpture with the plasma cutter. Spray with clear coat in a well-ventilated area.
Cut, weld and spray paint metal to create this whimsical fish sculpture.